Heirloom is on a mission to restore balance to our atmosphere. We are removing 1 billion tons of carbon dioxide ...View Company Profile
About Us All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change? At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there. We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us. Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.The Role
With the recent Bipartisan Infrastructure Package and California budget cycles, there are billions of dollars in financing for carbon removal that would massively accelerate our progress.
This position will draw on your experience executing complex, longterm, multi-disciplinary projects to build and operate Heirloom's grants and public financing team focused on corresponding with grant-making agencies and winning grants at a high rate. You will be strategic, mapping our internal roadmap to potential funding opportunities and building relationships with key stakeholders at grant-making agencies. When we win grants, you’ll work closely with our engineering teams to build and maintain program schedules, identify roadblocks, and help unblock them yourself. You’ll be extremely organized, detail-oriented, and a superb project manager, but you’ll see the big picture as well.
What you will do
- Assess funding opportunities at the federal, state and local government levels.
- Build and maintain a strategic plan that identifies which grants we should pursue when.
- Inform research, development, and deployment prioritization, bridging the gap between funding opportunities and business and product strategy.
- Assist the policy team in building relationships with program managers at grant agencies.
- Manage reporting and reimbursement processes.
- Manage engineering and research programs to execute against our grants.
- Build relationships with national labs, universities, and research institutions.
- Manage and coordinate the drafting of grant applications in collaboration with key stakeholders both internal and external to Heirloom.
- Support slide deck and content creation for both internal and external presentations.
- Support and guide individuals in crafting grant applications.
- Contribute to technical writing and inform the direction of grant applications and grant reporting.
What you will bring
- You’ve planned and led technically complex, long term projects.
- You’ve written, won, and managed multi-million dollar grants in the past, preferably from the DOE, ARPA-e, and California Energy Commission
- You have experience working with multidisciplinary teams
- You have experience in multiple work environments (e.g. academia, government, small startups, larger private companies)
- You’re incredibly detail oriented and can bridge the gap between project management, government relations, and technical communication
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom
Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.