We are developing a new class of cost-effective, multi-day energy storage systems that will enable a reliable and fully-renewable electric ...View Company Profile
Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing cost-effective multi-day energy storage systems to enable the global electricity system to run on 100% low-cost renewable energy, every day of the year. Driven by Form’s core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, our team is deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We seek to transform the energy landscape and do our part in making the world better for all. We are supported by leading investors who share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage will be a key enabler of tomorrow’s zero carbon electric system. Role Description
The Director of Market Design will establish Form Energy as a national thought leader in policy discussions about how electric markets and resource planning efforts need to evolve to fully compensate multi-day energy storage and to enable a reliable, 100% renewable energy grid.
This role will be responsible for bringing new ideas to electricity policy questions being asked across the country: What new planning frameworks and market products are needed to ensure reliable electricity supply during multi-day periods of risk as grids accommodate high levels of renewables? What are the best-practice methods to value multi-day energy storage and hybrid resources in reliability planning? What is the pathway for energy storage to be compensated for providing both transmission and energy benefits to the grid? How do wholesale market participation models need to evolve to accommodate Form’s 100-hour battery?
The Director of Market Design will define Form Energy’s policy positions on these questions and a range of related issues being addressed in regional electricity markets and state resource planning. One of the Director of Market Design’s primary responsibilities will be to provide the technical expertise and strategy that underlie Form Energy’s advocacy before ISOs/RTOs and FERC. This role is also broader; it will involve cross-functional collaboration to define multi-day storage and firm zero carbon resources as a class and to ensure that markets and policies fully value these resources.
This role will report to the Chief Operating Officer in the near term and eventually to the VP of Policy, while working closely with other policy team members and collaborating with Form’s analytics, commercial operations, and communications teams. This role will be based in Form's Berkeley, CA or Somerville, MA offices, but remote work is an option for the right candidate.
What You'll Do:
- Develop and advocate for new market products and resource adequacy constructs that ensure grid reliability during multi-day periods of reliability risk and that fully value multi-day storage
- Determine best practice resource accreditation methods that benefit multi-day storage, including existing methods like effective load carrying capacity and exceedance
- Ensure wholesale market participation models fully accommodate multi-day energy storage and diverse hybrid resources
- Define how wholesale market design and resource commitment may need to change to fully value multi-day storage, and lead advocacy efforts to make this change happen
- Forge a pathway for multi-day storage to be compensated for transmission services
- Collaborate closely with Form’s analytics team to define analytics priorities and to scope analytics work in support of data-driven, value-focused policy advocacy
- Collaborate with Form’s commercial and product teams to ensure that market designs align with Form Energy’s business objectives
- Represent Form Energy in public policy forums at ISOs and at FERC, and provide technical expertise that underlies Form’s advocacy at ISOs and FERC
- Recruit, manage and mentor team members and external partners
- Champion a positive, collaborative, blameless, open and generous culture
What You'll Bring:
- Recognized expert in devising wholesale electric market changes in response to emerging market trends
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and develop analysis-driven, locally-relevant electric market design solutions to complex policy issues
- Extensive experience scoping analytic work in support of electric market policy analysis
- Expert communicator capable of moderating messages for a range of audiences that span technical analysts and high-level policy-makers
- Deeply knowledgeable about wholesale electric market issues that include reliability, ancillary service product design, market participation models, market modeling and dispatch, and transmission planning
- Proven track record as a strategic thinker who can devise a course of action and persuade stakeholders to follow it
- Flexibility and adaptability, and an ability to adjust quickly to changing priorities
- Deeply knowledgeable and passionate about energy system decarbonization
- An experienced manager, mentor and team builder, and a generous team player who collaborates well with diverse teams and is excited to act as an individual contributor when needed
#LI-RemoteForm Energy is committed to equitable compensation and we offer a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need. We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. We offer a 401k and all employees are granted stock options. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page. At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.