Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow? Role Description
We are looking for a Staff Modeling Engineer to join our full-scale battery module team to engage in detailed cell and device modeling. The Staff Modeling Engineer will develop mathematical models to describe the electrochemical behavior of Form Energy’s core battery technology, including PDE / ODE development and model execution in a commercial simulation package (i.e., COMSOL) or a scientific programming language (i.e., Python). This role will develop and maintain detailed electrochemical models and utilize these models to drive engineering decisions in the design and operation of Form Energy’s battery. In particular, this role will be responsible for executing computational studies to inform design tradeoffs among cell geometry, active material selection, and operating conditions (i.e., rate, temperature). You will collaborate with other modeling specialists to capture relevant active-material physics to incorporate into the full cell model. Finally, this engineer will collaborate with mechanical, electrical, and systems engineers to inform the model geometry and jointly execute design decisions. Extensive experience modeling the performance of electrochemical devices, such as lithium ion batteries, alkaline batteries, flow batteries, electrolyzers, or fuel cells, is required for the position.
What You'll Do:
- Create and validate FEA-based cell performance model, incorporating active material properties, product-intent mechanical design, and target operating conditions to describe the electrochemical behavior of Form Energy’s battery chemistry
- Develop mathematical models to describe electrochemical performance, including PDEs, ODEs, numerical methods, analytic solutions, or statistical analysis
- Execute design studies to optimize cell geometry, active materials, BOM cost, rate, and operating conditions within the electrochemical reactor using computational tools
- Generate reduced-order models that can be used as a basis for simplified battery or systems performance models
- Specify experiments, in collaboration with battery engineers, to fill data gaps that inform experimental input parameters and validate cell modeling efforts; collaborate with engineers across teams to interpret electrochemical test data
What You'll Bring:
- PhD in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar, with a focus in engineering simulation or computation
- 5+ years experience modeling electrochemical devices (i.e., Li-ion, alkaline batteries, flow batteries, electrolyzers, fuel cells) in a product development setting
- Expert in electrochemical device simulation using FEA/FVM packages; COMSOL experience is preferred
- Expert in developing models with a scientific programming language; Python experience is preferred
- Deep theoretical understanding of electrochemical science and devices
- Strong technical communication skills, especially with remote team members
- Must be able to obtain US work authorization
The Massachusetts salary range for this role is $157,260-$193,970 The California salary range for this role is $164,410-$202,785. The range listed is what we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and may be modified in the future. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, depth of experience, certifications, and specific work location. This may be different in other locations due to differences in the cost of labor.
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.