Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS)
The world needs a fundamentally new source of clean energy to meet our growing energy demands and combat climate change. ...View Company Profile
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS is collaborating with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with new groundbreaking high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. The mission is to deploy fusion power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To execute this plan, we are looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skill sets and experience that relate to this role.The Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Engineer will support the development of specific safety programs for the company through implementation at the Milpitas, CA location. They will support key safety programs at this location of equipment risk assessment and mitigation, machinery safety, lock out tag out, incident response and management, as well as all other facets of safety. The individual will author and administer training, ensure compliance with regulations at all levels, conduct safety investigations, and work with our team to develop safety protocols and plans.
This team member will:
- Implement Safety programs at the Milpitas facility
- Author and administer safety trainings and maintain training records
- Conduct risk assessments during design reviews, process development, and operational activities
- Support safety aspects of equipment commissioning
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and city safety regulations
- Work with personnel to develop safety protocols and standard operating procedures
- Support safety efforts across scope of work as necessary
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in an environmental, health, and safety or engineering discipline (mechanical engineering, chemical engineering)
- 5+ years’ experience in Health and Safety roles
- Experience with machinery safety, lock out tag out, lifting/rigging plan reviews
- Supported Safety aspects of equipment design reviews and equipment commissioning for start-up and operation
- Led Incident Response and Investigations for injuries or significant near misses
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly with excellent troubleshooting/ problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with chemical safety and waste management
- Contractor Management and Job Hazard Analysis
- First Aid, CPR & AED trained
- Ability to lift 50 lbs infrequently
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, fumes, noise, strong magnets, and potential for exposure based on evaluating or mitigating hazards
- Willingness to conduct 5-10% Periodic travel to Devens, Massachusetts facility
- Potential for calls during off-shifts in case of adverse events
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.