At Zoox we have set the goal to provide our customers with the highest level of safety while using our fully autonomous vehicles. As a member of the Zoox Vehicle Safety Engineering team you will work with a team of world-class engineers with diverse backgrounds such as robotics, control, and vehicle engineering. You will be responsible for developing safety control systems that aid the vehicle safety and occupant protection system performance. You will be involved all the way through the complete vehicle development process from concept to validation testing. You will be working in the Zoox vehicle integration safety team and work closely with the Zoox internal and external supplier module system teams, with CAE and test laboratories. You will develop clear and precise performance requirements for our advanced vehicle safety control systems and assess them in CAE and physical tests. Working at Zoox offers you the chance to manifest your creativity, utilize your excellent organizational and communication skills and make a big difference in the final product.
- Support the delivery of complete vehicle technical specification (VTS) safety performance targets
- Break down high-level VTS targets into individual targets, functions, and metrics for the safety restraint controls of the vehicle
- Communicate requirements with Function integration, VSE, and Firmware teams
- Take ownership of the safety control system to deliver target occupant safety performance
- Work in a team to develop a new generation of occupant restraint systems controls
- Integrate the safety controls into the vehicle (passive and active reversible restraint systems)
- Define safety controls logic and integration strategy, vehicle crash sensing and ACU firing logic, occupant classification, and more
- Develop virtual and physical DVPs and track execution accordingly
- Understand other vehicle attributes and their effects with regard to safety performance
- Provide input for activation of safety controls and instrumentation to the validation team (component, system, full vehicle tests)
- Highlight observations, generate and track tickets with requirements management software (Jira)
- Analyze test results and report to engineering teams, report out at project gateways
- BS or MS in Electrical / or Mechanical Engineering with a passion for electric, autonomous mobility
- 5-10 years of experience within automotive development and testing, preferable in safety
- Detailed knowledge of FMVSS, and other legal and consumer safety protocols
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Proficiency with requirements management tools (Jira)
- Proficiency with 3D design and PLM tools, CATIA 3DX or CATIA V5 and Hyperworks
- Proficiency with Python, Matlab, and/or NI Diadem
- Experienced in safety test setup and execution
- Project management experience
- DFMEA knowledge, Experience with requirements management tools (Polarion or equiv.)
- There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $155,000 to $255,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
- Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR
have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.About Zoox
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.Follow us on LinkedInA Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.