We are developing a new class of cost-effective, multi-day energy storage systems that will enable a reliable and fully-renewable electric ...View Company Profile
Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing cost-effective multi-day energy storage systems to enable the global electricity system to run on 100% low-cost renewable energy, every day of the year. Driven by Form’s core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, our team is deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We seek to transform the energy landscape and do our part in making the world better for all. We are supported by leading investors who share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage will be a key enabler of tomorrow’s zero carbon electric system. Role Description
We’re looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join a new manufacturing equipment team. This team is responsible for developing novel equipment used to manufacture electrodes for Form Energy’s commercial product. This work will start with experiments and equipment substation prototypes used to define equipment architectures and processes.
Moving forward, you will be responsible for the development and maturation of manufacturing equipment and delivering high-budget, high-volume equipment at new production facilities. Initially, this role will focus on the development of furnaces, presses, and ancillary temperature control and safety systems for processing of battery materials.
The ideal candidate will bring a wealth of equipment design experience and creativity used to develop world class, fully automated equipment. Reporting to the Manager of Advanced Manufacturing
, you’ll work closely with cell design engineers, process engineers, material scientists, supply chain, operations, facilities, and outside consultants. As we design, build, and ramp up equipment operations, expect to become deeply entrenched in the intersection of equipment design, process engineering, and materials engineering, as the team works toward a common goal of manufacturing high performance electrodes, in high volume. This role provides an exciting opportunity to design novel equipment while doing your part to help combat climate change!
What You'll Do:
- Own the design, development, build, and deployment of high temperature manufacturing equipment ranging from initial prototyping equipment to fully automated and integrated systems used for high volume manufacturing
- Provide design for manufacturing feedback to the cell and materials engineering teams
- Design and document robust equipment and processes capable of a high level of safety, uptime, and quality
- Collaborate with process and controls engineers in the start-up and debugging effort for manufacturing equipment and processes at new production sites
- Train technicians and other users on new manufacturing equipment and processes
- Work with a diverse set of teams inside and outside the company to achieve overall manufacturing success
- Be a champion for safety in the development of new equipment and processes
What You'll Bring:
#LI-DL1Form Energy is committed to equitable compensation and we offer a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need. We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. We offer a 401k and all employees are granted stock options. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page. At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- BS required in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- 5+ years of experience in the design, build, and commissioning of high temperature processing systems
- Experience in computer-aided design (CAD)
- Experience in designing precision motion control systems carrying high loads, and operating at high temperatures
- Experience designing equipment used in hazardous locations containing combustible dusts or gasses
- Fabrication experience is a must
- Experience and familiarity with PLC hardware selection, programming, troubleshooting, and configuration for automated systems
- Experience designing electrical and pneumatic controls systems, specifying electrical and pneumatic control components, and designing the mechanical layout of an electromechanical and/or pneumatic controls system
- Familiarity with NFPA codes and furnace safety control systems
- Knowledge of statistical methods as applied to experimental design and process development
- Battery experience is a plus