Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters are available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first four years, Bird launched in over 400 cities and provided over 100 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
As a General Manager, you’ll be responsible for the growth and success of Bird in Australia and New Zealand. This is one of the most challenging and rewarding roles at Bird, requiring a diverse set of operational, analytical, marketing, community building, and leadership abilities. You’ll manage local teams dedicated to delivering a seamless experience to both riders and their communities and be an influencer of central Bird teams and resources to help deliver on goals and build for scale. This position is one of Bird’s most analytical rigorous but also rewarding. If you are up to the task, able to think on your feet, manage through ambiguity/adversity of a quickly shifting and growing industry, and manage and develop high performing teams - all while delivering results, we want to speak with you!
- Deliver world class fleet operations within your cities, managing all aspects of local operations and optimizing for efficiency and utilization of Bird vehicles
- Develop a winning strategy for Australia and New Zealand: Engage with council stakeholders & work with local decision makers and partners to position Bird as the most attractive e-scooter operator for towns and cities within ANZ.
- Own growth of the business, driving execution to boost rider base, rides, and revenue in a dynamic, highly competitive space
- Build and develop strong relationships with senior cross-functional leaders (e.g. marketing, government relations, communications, data science, business development) and help define the goals and objectives of these teams at the local level
- Identify and communicate local product needs to product/engineering teams and playbook and share best practices internally to build for scale across the organization
- Build quarterly & full year P&L’s, leaning heavily on analytical skills to create strategies to drive profitability in your basket of markets
- Remove blockers, solve problems, and find a path forward through ambiguity, operating a dynamic and rapidly growing business across urban footprints
- Full P&L ownership, requiring deep analytical skills to drive operational strategies.
- Represent Bird in the community, local media, and in communication with key city stakeholders
- Recruit and build a thriving local ops team; You will be defining hiring needs and leading the hiring process while managing a growing team of Operations Associates, Engagement Managers, and Vehicle Associates.
- Create a fun, safe, collaborative, and high energy work culture while developing the next generation of leaders at Bird
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 7+ years of operations management, business consulting, or related experience managing operations, building and developing diverse teams, optimizing processes, and delivering business goals
- 5+ years of managing a team
- SQL, Tableau, and financial modeling skills
- Goal focused with a strong bias toward action
- High EQ, and proven ability to deliver outstanding results through others in a timely manner using a strong sense of focus, organization, and meticulous attention to detail
- Entrepreneurial hustle and proven self-starter with owner’s mentality; some entrepreneurial experience is preferred
- Data-driven mindset, strong business judgment, and proven ability to perform analysis, draw key insights, and form and execute a strategy
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to build sustainable relationships, manage a team, influence stakeholders, and inspire others
- Excellent organization and time management
- Willingness to get your hands dirty, lead by example, and motivate teams both through in-person and remote management
- Passion for Bird, its role improving city environments, and an interest in the “share economy” and platform methodology
- Impressive academic record, MBA or advanced degree is a plus
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a WFH monthly stipend, a wellness allowance, and more. Plus, a new resource to help support personal and professional developments—all the goods needed to move on our mission together.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.