ABOUT GENERATE CAPITAL
Generate Capital is a leading investment and operating platform for sustainable infrastructure. Founded in 2014, Generate has been accelerating the Infrastructure Revolution for years, partnering with pre-eminent innovators with a diversified fleet of over 2,000 sustainable infrastructure assets, serving more than 1000 customers and communities. We are the one-stop shop for technology companies, developers and integrators for capital in its many forms and help to deploy sustainable infrastructure and for customers to meet resilience, decarbonization and cost savings goals.
Climate change, and the related resource challenges of food insecurity, energy poverty, and water scarcity, require an unrelenting focus on delivering solutions at the urgency and scale required. At Generate, we believe that we can solve the world’s most pressing resource issues by taking a systems-level approach, one that has the appropriate time horizon and the financial, operational and human capacity to comprehensively address the challenges before us. We recognize that our stakeholder alignment is our license to operate: customers, communities, innovators, developers, employees, capital partners and the planet all must win.
We do work others can’t. Generate is the long-term, flexible, operationally capable, and values-driven financing partner for pioneering project developers and solutions providers, offering an empathetic and experienced approach to solving the world’s most important problems.
Joining Generate is an opportunity to help build a cutting-edge, values-driven organization that is redefining the economics of sustainable infrastructure. At Generate we take a long-term approach to our people and are committed to building a diverse, equitable, and empathetic workforce that is willing to roll up our sleeves and do what it takes to get infrastructure projects built. We integrate our values – integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability – at all levels, in all of our decisions. Certified as a Great Place to Work, Generate offers employees a collaborative culture, opportunities for personal growth and exposure to ongoing learning opportunities.
What you can expect from us:
- The ability to truly “do well by doing good”; indeed, we really are changing the world
- An opportunity to help build a cutting edge, values-driven organization that is leading the Resource Revolution and redefining the economics of distributed, sustainable infrastructure
- The integration of our values – integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability – at all levels and with our many stakeholders
- An opportunity for entrepreneurship and leadership in building out and managing the company’s operational infrastructure and the teams to support it
- A commitment to your professional development, ongoing learning opportunities, and overall growth as a person
- The ability to work with a team with decades of collective experience financing and managing billions of dollars of sustainable infrastructure, leading successful startups, and growing great people
- Competitive pay and benefits
ABOUT THE POSITION
Generate Capital invests in sustainable solutions spanning the infrastructure technology set, including in solar, fuel cell, CHP, microgrid, smart cities, and mobility sectors. This position will provide legal support to the project delivery and asset management teams that are directly responsible for revenue generation, and will be responsible for managing associated legal risks, processes, and procedures. We are looking for someone process- and results-oriented, passionate about the type of work Generate is doing, looking to apply their experience as a project development and project finance lawyer to work across technologies spanning the resource revolution. This is a unique opportunity to work on all aspects of delivering and operating sustainable infrastructure solutions on the cutting edge of the resource revolution.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as Counsel, Asset Management and Project Delivery:
Candidate requirements and qualifications:
- Provide support to the Asset Management team in connection with financial, commercial, technical, and legal management of operational solar projects, energy storage projects, fuel cell projects, CHP projects, microgrid projects, smart cities projects, mobility projects, energy efficiency installations and other types of sustainable infrastructure. Work with asset managers to respond to ongoing matters on the portfolio, including amendments to service contracts (O&M agreements, management services agreements), project documents (feedstock agreements, PPAs, energy services agreement), financing arrangements (debt, tax equity, and/or co-sponsor equity), and other types of arrangements to support the smooth operation of our assets.
- Provide support to the Project Delivery team in connection with sustainable infrastructure projects that have not yet achieved commercial operation. Work with team members in pre-COD activities including running RFP processes for contractors; negotiation of contracts for engineering, procurement and construction, operation, and maintenance; reviewing notices from and providing notices to service providers, including potential notices of deficiencies in services.
- Provide guidance on resolving disputes arising during construction or commercial operations, drafting and negotiating settlement agreements or amendments. As needed, pursue remedies, including enforcement of collateral rights and warranty claims, and provide potential strategic pre-litigation guidance.
- Interact with governmental authorities with respect to permit renewals and modifications and to respond to notices of violations and develop remedial plans with the assistance of local counsel.
- Independently provide leadership on cross-functional teams and business units, identify legal issues affecting the portfolio, provide legal options and analysis of possible legal solutions, and give recommendations for addressing critical issues so that business and legal objectives are met.
- Apply your experience, your good judgment, and your acumen generally to creating scale solutions, process, and responses to a diverse portfolio of operating assets.
- Assist in the training and development of asset management team by expanding their understanding of the legal and operations frameworks, trade-offs, and associated documentation.
- Provide general advice and contract support to the Company.
- 6+ years at a law firm and/or in-house experience representing sponsors, developers, or IPPs owning sustainable energy assets.
- Demonstrated ability to draft and negotiate various types of project development agreements, including site control, offtake, interconnection and transmission, EPC and O&M, and fuel supply (as applicable).
- Familiarity with project finance and project and equity acquisitions.
- Ability to draft and negotiate general commercial contracts, including agreements for consulting services, authorized service provider agreements, monitoring services, and SaaS solutions.
- Prior experience in informal or formal dispute resolution.
- A passion for, or demonstrated commitment to, our mission: proving that sustainability pays.
- Ability to swiftly complete a project, consummate transactions, and drive to resolution/solution to issues small and large.
- Expert at applying knowledge in one industry/sector into new areas of investment.
- Unimpeachable integrity and glowing references.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, including empathy, intuition, and listening as well as strong writing, editing, and basic design skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- High level of self-awareness and humility, with excitement about confronting uncomfortable situations or new challenges.
- Intellectual agility, curiosity, and creativity; problem-solving is your default mode.
- Superior project and time management skills and high attention to detail.
- Entrepreneurial spirit: Ability to focus on details while also able to see long-term goals and obstacles.