Completely autonomous in complex environments
Zoox is driving autonomously in ways that no one else has shown. We are driving in ...View Company Profile
Zoox is looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer to join our Vehicle Systems Engineering team. In this role, you will design and launch the systems that integrate autonomous driving sensors onto Zoox’s autonomous vehicle platform. Key responsibilities include the design of complex electromechanical sensing assemblies, validation of sensor performance throughout system lifetime in automotive environments, technical supplier management, and support of manufacturing and service as your systems are deployed across Zoox’s autonomous fleet.
- You will design electromechanical sensor assemblies; balance requirements from multiple stakeholders: studio designers, sensor performance and optical engineers, vehicle/package architects, and your colleagues in other vehicle design domains.
- You will design and build visual mockups, proofs of concept, and functional A-Samples.
- You will manage design and development activities for multiple internal and external suppliers to successfully deliver one or more electromechanical systems. Along with mentoring and leading other team members and cross-functional colleagues to meet timelines while achieving engineering objectives.
- You will manage the test and validation for your systems and support test engineers, sensor performance engineers, and supplier teams in test design, failure analysis, and quality management.
- You will collaborate with manufacturing engineers and quality personnel to ramp production processes and meet build objectives.
- You will maintain BOMs, document and approve build processes, and support quality and cost engineering throughout the supply chain of your assemblies.
- BS in Mechanical or System Engineering or equivalent.
- 8+ years of industry experience; automotive experience preferred.
- 3D CAD design experience; Catia V5/V6 preferred.
- Experience designing electronic modules in an automotive context.
- Experience uncovering and solving packaging, structural, thermal, and reliability challenges.
- Experience with die-cast, injection-molded, and sheet metal parts.
- Knowledge of automotive sensing modalities, electromechanical behaviors, and integration challenges.
- Experience building products and assemblies through their entire lifecycle, from initial concept to production ramp.
- General aptitude with machining, 3D printing, hand tools, electronics.
- Experience managing international supply chain with onsite workshops and build audits.
- Knowledge of automotive sensor cleaning challenges and solutions.
- Experience managing external suppliers (T1s and CMs).
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR
have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine by the earlier
of (1) April 15 or (2) within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.About Zoox
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.Follow us on LinkedInA Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.