Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The Lead Production Technician at Commonwealth Fusion Systems is responsible for leading a fast-paced and agile team building the world’s strongest high temperature superconducting magnets and assemblies for integration into CFS fusion devices. The role is responsible for continuously improving production tasks, maintaining schedules with resourcing, and assuring quality requirements are met per documentation. The technician team is a hands-on build team working with mechanical, electrical, magnetic, cryogenic, pressure, vacuum, and pneumatic systems.
This individual will cover our Second Shift which will be 2:30 - 11:30 pm.
This team member will:
- Build, lead, and assist in training a team in making electromechanical parts and assemblies
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team of manufacturing engineers and technicians to develop and qualify new manufacturing techniques and processes
- Perform production hardware builds according to procedures, specifications, and test instructions based on scheduling
- Troubleshoot and resolve manufacturing discrepancies with a focus on continuous improvement
- Use various mechanical and precision calibrated tools such as torque wrenches, micrometers, calipers and a variety of hand and power tools
- Ensure all technicians are acting in a safe standard set forth by CFS
- Assist in sustaining Quality & Takt into Production builds set by standards of CFS
- Stakeholder for feedback to supervisor during reviews
- Manage and approve timecards
- Perform other related job duties related to the job, as assigned by management
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- High school diploma/equivalency certificate or higher
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with hand tools and machine shop equipment
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in a variety of technical support skills such as but not limited to mechanical and electrical assembly, plumbing, vacuum systems, cryogenic systems, soldering, and wiring
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with winding equipment of any type is a plus
- High temperature Superconducting material processing
- Experience with lean manufacturing, 5S, and Six Sigma principles
- Epoxy potting or injection molding experience, Cryo testing, Vacuum testing
- Commitment and ability to communicate safety and quality to your team
- Ability to lead a team and give clear and precise direction
- Ability to take directions from supervisors and work independently
- Desire to work and contribute in a fast-paced environment with daily changes
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) to a team reporting to you of daily and weekly goals
- Meticulous attention to detail and cleanliness with hands-on work
- Ability and patience to work through projects from start to finish, including assembly and testing keeping your team motivated and engaged
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.