Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.The R&D Technician is an exciting and evolving role with a responsibility for assisting R&D staff with all aspects of product development, commercialization, and on-going manufacturing support, including prototype production, process monitoring, troubleshooting, and any related activities. Ensures functional operation and preventative maintenance of equipment and continuous improvement. Responsibilities include close cooperation with Operations, Maintenance, Quality and other departments to ensure goals and objectives are met. This role will lead the way to making Earth sustainable for the future to come.
This team member will:
- Assists in building new products and Magnet prototypes
- Prepares prototypes for internal and/or external customer evaluation and to ensure robustness
- Conducts process monitoring activities, equipment capability & production trouble-shooting, identifying, communicating and implementing viable solutions
- Sets-up, operates, troubleshoots, and maintains R&D equipment
- Assists in Installation and readiness of new projects
- Assists the Senior R&D Staff with testing, specification development, establishment of manufacturing processes and procedure
- Maintains accurate records of all projects and assignments while suggesting continuous improvements to better the process into manufacturing
- Provide technical assistance to internal customers (QA, QC, Engineering, Management)
- Maintains a safe work environment and operates in a safe manner
- Perform other related job duties related to the job, as assigned by management
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- High school diploma/equivalency certificate or higher
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with hand tools and machine shop equipment
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience or equivalent in a variety of technical support skills such as but not limited to - mechanical and electrical assembly, plumbing, vacuum systems, cryogenic systems, soldering, and wiring
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with winding equipment of any type is a plus
- Epoxy potting or injection molding experience
- High Temperature Superconducting material processing
- Working with cryogenic chemicals such as LN2 and Helium
- Hand tools and basic power tools
- Electrical schematic and wiring
- PLC software or similar data analyzing software
- Forklift experience
- Crane or lifting experience
- Strong written and oral communications skills & techniques, with high level of attention to detail
- Effective root cause analysis and problem solving skills
- Effective planning & organizing skills; ability to handle multiple task/duties
- Proficient PC skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain a positive, professional, cooperative demeanor, conduct, and working relationship with peers, management, employees, and other individuals that interact with this position.
- Ability to comply, interpret and support, procedures, work rules, and protocols
- Ability to adapt effectively to workplace changes and new job duties/responsibilities
- Ability to represent the Company in a positive and professional manner at all times
- Commitment to safety and quality
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.