Founded in 2016, Rheaply, Inc. is a Chicago-based technology company with a mission to build transformative technology so that every resource finds its next use. Rheaply has developed and launched a resource exchange platform for colleagues and communities to exchange resources and materials (e.g. furniture, fixtures, equipment, and other building products), tracking cost savings and waste reduction in the process. Recently, Rheaply has been featured in Forbes, Inc Magazine, The New York Times, Nature, VERGE, and Greenbiz, among others, and has won several awards within the climate tech and social innovation space.
Rheaply has also been awarded the 1871 Disrupter Award, Most Innovative Reuse Company, 2021 Social Innovator Award from Chicago Innovation, and 2022 Environmental Stewardship Award from the Baumhart Center for Social Enterprise and Responsibility among other notable awards and recognitions.
As a Senior Software Engineer at Rheaply, you’ll be making a positive impact on the planet by building software that promotes reuse and reduces waste. You’ll join a well-knit, cross-functional team and have the freedom to make impactful contributions and you will report directly to the CTO.
We are in the process of scaling our engineering team and reviewing all previous design decisions, allowing you to have a major influence in both the architecture, design and implementation of our core products and services. Please note this role is remote-friendly.
What You’ll Do
- You will work within a tightly-knit product and engineering team to build software that promotes reuse and sustainability.
- You will work cross-functionally with the sales engineers and the customer success team
- You will build backend services to facilitate web-based applications and other core offerings.
- You will use the breadth of your software engineering expertise to implement pragmatic solutions designing and implementing APIs.
- You will work with SQL and NoSQL databases, such as PostgreSQL and DynamoDB, and messaging/streaming platforms, such as Kafka.
- You will optimize performance and devise optimal solutions across all layers of our stack, including, but not limited to: application, infrastructure, and networking.
- You will be a leader and valuable participant in design reviews, code reviews, and discussions around application architecture.
- You will conceive and build internal tooling to improve workflows across the entire company.
- You will work on an exceptional team that is passionate about our product, about crafting elegant solutions, and protecting our planet.
Who You Are
- Intermediate or expert experience working as a Software Engineer.
- You are proficient in working with data structures and algorithms.
- You have extensive experience with RESTful APIs
- You have experience working with one or more of the following: Kubernetes, AWS ECS, AWS Fargate, Docker, and/or any other container and orchestration technologies.
- You have had extensive exposure to web-based backend application development and have worked deeply with microservice and/or service-oriented architectures.
- You have strong working knowledge of Linux.
- You have extensive experience with one or more AWS services or exposure to GCP and/or Azure as a good substitute from AWS
- You have experience with Kafka, NATs, and/or any other distributed streaming technologies.
- You have experience with ElasticSearch or other adjacent technologies.
- You have strong knowledge of relational databases, such as PostgreSQL, and exposure to one or more NoSQL databases.
You have an inherent curiosity and a deep desire to develop a profound understanding of the tools you work with and to teach those around you.
- A resourceful, motivated team player who can lead and contribute to a diverse team of individuals and expertise
- A builder who can pivot to the needs of a growing business
- Inquisitive, research-focused, and ready to learn
- Naturally embodies Rheaply’s Core Values (see below)
At Rheaply, we envision a world where all assets and resources are highly visible, searchable, and reusable. Oh, and we love what we do, like, really love what we do. So, join us today to help us achieve our mission!
Rheaply’s Core Values
We strive to provide the most seamless experience for our users, enabling our client organizations to achieve full utilization of their assets, thereby reducing procurement, storage, as well as environmental costs by keeping valuable resources in circulation. As a team, we pledge to execute our work in accordance with our seven Core Values
We Listen To and Delight Our Users -- Our users are our most important stakeholders. We strive to provide the most seamless user experience and value to our users across client organizations. We do our best to have empathy for their problems and challenges. We listen to users’ feedback and provide timely responses to questions and needs.
We Encourage Individual Team Member Growth, Innovation, And Happiness -- Our people are our most valuable assets. Rheaply’s success is dependent upon the collective drive, intelligence, curiosities and contributions of all of our team members. We care for the wellbeing of each team member and ensure that they have the support and mentorship they need to succeed at Rheaply and beyond.
We Value Transparency, Humility, and Open Communication -- The key determinant to our successful market execution is our ability to communicate and share successes, learnings, insights, struggles, and solutions across our teams. At Rheaply, we strive to cultivate a culture of intelligence with humility. We care about hearing each member’s voice and understanding his or her unique perspective.
We Care About Our Communities And The Environment -- Rheaply is driven by the mission to reduce our environmental footprint and accelerate our transition to a circular economy. We strive to live by our mission of promoting environmental awareness and waste reduction in our decisions and actions at Rheaply and beyond.
We Promote A Collaborative Culture of Learning and Problem-Solving -- Rheaply is committed to finding straightforward solutions to complex problems. We are constantly learning from each other, from our clients, and from our competitors. We strive to understand problems at the microscopic level and become industry experts in building, deploying, and iterating sustainable, circular solutions.
We Are Tenacious and We Own Our Work -- At Rheaply, we are dedicated to enabling the transition to a more circular world. We are relentless about our mission and vision. We hold ourselves accountable for our words and actions, both internally and in the market.
We Strive To Be Helpful -- We view all the work we do at Rheaply as daily, non-stop efforts to help and support each other, our clients, our users, our partners, and our shared environment.
Rheaply, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of our activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, interns, volunteers, subcontractors.