Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The SPARC Instrumentation and control team are seeking an experienced SCADA Engineer to take responsibility for the design, implementation, testing, installation and commissioning of the SPARC central control system’s (CCS) SCADA/HMI system. The SPARC CCS will coordinate and orchestrate the whole SPARC facility, and this SCADA/HMI system will act as the primary mechanism that allows the science and operations teams to configure and operate SPARC, as well as providing monitoring of the whole facility, bringing together all the data from the control systems of each part of the machine.
This team member will:
- Design and build the CCS SCADA/HMI system for SPARC
- Collaborate with other I&C engineers to define and implement the control architecture and interfaces with other systems
- Collaborate with the tokamak operations team, system responsible officers and responsible engineers to design the WinCC OA HMI and implement the desired functionality
- Collaborate with other software and I&C engineers and other key stakeholders to ensure all necessary functions and interfaces are included in the design and implemented according to requirements
- Production of the required design deliverables according to the SPARC design process
- Take responsibility for implementation, testing, installation and commissioning of the CCS SCADA/HMI system according to the project schedule
- Produce testing, installation, commissioning, operations and maintenance procedures for the CCS SCADA/HMI
- Ensure the design is completed in compliance with the Code of Record and established requirements
- Maintain interfaces with other engineering subsystems
- Report on and be accountable for progress to the head of I&C
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Several years of experience with control systems, automation, robotics or similar
- Experience building large, complex, data-intensive applications and HMIs with WinCC OA
- Experience with Profinet, Profibus, S7, OPC UA, Modbus, BACnet, other industrial communication protocols
- Designed, built, and operated SCADA/HMI systems from concept to completion under a QA program
- C/C++ programming experience.
- Functional modeling language such as UML, SysML, GRAFCET, SDL or similar
- Requirements gathering, function definition and decomposition, technical writing and documentation
- Software Lifecycle Management - QA, version control, testing, commissioning and validation
- Familiarity with ISO 61131, IEEE, IEC standards.
- Production of engineering deliverables for design reviews, construction work packages, commissioning, operations and maintenance
- Experience with AVEVA Engineering or similar
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Python, Java or other programming skills
- Current best practices and emerging technologies in industrial control systems
- Networks experience
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, stooping, and sitting, for extended periods of time
- Working with appropriate PPE in the presence of hazards such an exposure to heat, cold, and noise
- This role can be performed remotely until late 2023 when this individual will be expected to come onsite for prototyping, testing, commissioning, and operation of SPARC in Devens, MA
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.