HowGood is an independent research company with the world's largest database on product sustainability. With more than 33,000 ingredients, chemicals, and materials assessed, HowGood SaaS and impact data offerings help leading brands, retailers and investors improve their environmental and social impact. Through in-depth, ingredient-level insights into factors ranging from greenhouse gas emissions to animal welfare to labor risk, HowGood data powers strategic decision-making for the sourcing, manufacturing, merchandising, and marketing of sustainable products.
This position will be the first hire onto the legal team, responsible for identifying, communicating, and mitigating legal and compliance risk for HowGood as we rapidly grow and expand our offerings. The position will be responsible for a range of legal matters including drafting and negotiating SaaS and data licensing contracts, reviewing vendor contracts, supporting compliance audit processes, and researching topics concerning our products such as consumer facing sustainability claims and evolving GHG reporting regulations. The role will work cross-functionally with internal teams and represent HowGood in negotiations with external parties. This is a generalist position, and while you will not be expected to be an expert on all topics, a successful candidate will demonstrate a willingness to dive into areas important to our business to determine the best path forward, even if that path proves to be engaging outside counsel for support.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements and vendor contracts, including SaaS and data licensing agreements, confidentiality agreements, statements of work, and master service agreements with vendors and partners.
- Identify business and legal risks and issues that allow the business of the company to move forward in compliance with domestic and international laws, rules, and regulations.
- Actively collaborate across teams on a range of issues related to sales, product development, and commercialization
- Help build scalable and effective processes for legal review and launch of new products
- Manage complex legal issues that arise, including keeping up to date with the changing regulatory landscape related to SaaS companies and sustainability claims.
- Assist in design, implementation, update, and audit of policies and procedures to ensure company’s compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Provide practical advice on all matters that affect the company and balance risks against business objectives
- 5+ years legal experience in a law firm, in-house, or at a startup
- JD from an accredited law school; attorney's license must be current, active and in good standing
- Must be able to engage with legal and business leaders internally and externally and have strong negotiation skills.
- Must have a strategic approach to legal problem solving, and be detail-oriented, organized, efficient, and resourceful with strong follow-through skills.
- Have broad legal knowledge that enables you to spot and resolve a variety of legal issues in upcoming product offerings (e.g., regulatory, contract, IP, privacy, consumer protection, risk); and an ability to distill complexity and to identify and clearly communicate practical, risk-based solutions.
- Be curious–willing and able to roll up your sleeves and get into the details- and energized by working on a team in a fast-paced environment with evolving priorities.
HowGood is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We aim to employ people who reflect the diverse nature of society and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. We seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.