At Wisk, we're transforming the future of urban mobility through safe, all-electric, autonomous flight. We are a passionate team working together toward a sustainable future, solving high-impact problems that have never been solved before. By delivering everyday flight for everyone, we're making it possible to spend less time getting there and more time being there. If you want to be part of shaping the future of mobility, then read on!
With that vision in mind, we are looking for a Voltaics Manager to join our team. The goal of a Voltaics Manager at Wisk is to ensure that batteries that power our projects are the best in the industry by engaging with reputable vendors, formulating advantageous battery chemistries, characterizing battery performance, and maintaining impeccable documentation standards. You will be part of the Electrical Engineering Sub-Department that designs the next generation eVTOL.
The successful candidate is capable of leading a team to interact with current and future battery cell suppliers to identify novel battery cell technologies that can meet the stringent performance requirements of Wisk projects. You and your team will ensure designed cells fulfill performance, cycle life, quality and safety requirements. You and your team will frequently perform battery cell teardowns, carry out root cause analysis, and propose countermeasures to improve upon battery specifications. In addition to being a subject matter expert on the aforementioned topics you will be responsible for team performance reviews, scheduling, resource planning, budgeting, maintaining laboratories, coordinating facility upgrades for new capital equipment, purchasing, vendor relationships with key suppliers, establishing requirements for the aircraft, sourcing new vendors, and cross-functional support for quality, NDT, and design. In this role, the candidate must be self motivated and capable of working with little direction. The candidate should be able to effectively communicate expectations on projects and tasks with their team and should be able to effectively communicate these expectations to IPT Leads throughout the organization to enact plans to meet mission critical milestones. This candidate should also be able to motivate their team and find creative ways to keep engagement high.Traveling requirements: 25% (1 week per month to the Bay Area)
What you will do:
- You will take part in design gate reviews, including: SRR, PDR, CDR, TRR & PRR.
- You will support product development by assigning Voltaics team members to the Integrated Product Teams (IPTs), and by ensuring Voltaics team members attain appropriate tools, equipment and training.
- You will ensure the Voltaics team’s expertise is utilized to drive technical decisions and be the signature authority on the quality of work being produced.
- You will help support certification by ensuring the team fully defines the battery cell specification, safety requirements and methods to demonstrate compliance.
- You will help coordinate test plan release and execution.
- You will take part in the strategic vendor selection, ensuring the selection includes both technical and business aspects (with appropriate weightings).
- You will champion battery cell chemistry research projects, working closely with the Head of R&D to scope the project’s goals and objectives, attain funding, and then ensure the team’s progress to plan.
- You will lead the effort to engage academia for new and emerging battery cell technologies.
What you have done:
- Masters of Science or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering (or related degree for battery cell design), with at least 5 years of experience designing and testing battery cells.
- You have worked on various material qualification and design allowables development programs.
- You have hands-on experience with composite material processing, lab specimen preparation, and laboratory testing.
- You have lead teams who produced material specifications and process specifications.
- You are familiar with cell manufacturing, including wet laboratory experience with cell development.
- You have experience with characterization and cell cycling (Arbin, Maccor, Neware, and data analysis methods).
- You have familiarity with EIS, CV, and related electrochemical characterization tools.
- You have deep knowledge of cell component design on the topics of electrode active materials and binders, electrolyte, separator.
- You have experience with aircraft certification programs.
Who you are:
Compensation and Benefits:
- You are a highly motivated, self starting individual with a broad set of skills and never afraid of facing complex technical challenges.
- You are a solution oriented individual with a strong analytical mindset.
- You have strong communication skills and can easily tailor your communications to suit the audience.
- You can adapt quickly or propose changes needed to achieve early results in a timely fashion.
- You embrace challenges and take commitments and deliver results within reasonable expectations.
- You are a positive team player.
In addition to offering a great work environment and the opportunity to be part of the team making electric autonomous flight a reality, at Wisk, we offer excellent total rewards which include a competitive base salary, annual bonus, long term incentive, 401K, health benefits and much more.
Job Type: Full-timePay Range the Company expects to pay: $185,000 - $219,000
per year - The starting base salary within this range for this role varies based on factors such as your geographical location, and your relevant job-related experience that is consistent with a business necessity.
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), flexible time off, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as flight lessons, wellness subsidies, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
In order to protect the health and safety of all Wisk employees in the workplace, we are requiring that all employees receive an FDA-authorized vaccination against COVID-19 prior to physically returning to Wisk’s U.S. offices. Exceptions/accommodations are considered for employees with disabilities or sincerely-held religious beliefs or practices that prevent them from being vaccinated against COVID-19.
Wisk Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wisk Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wisk Aero is an E-Verify employer.