Carbon Direct is decarbonizing the global economy. What is Carbon Direct?
We are a team of scientists, engineers, and innovators with a shared goal of reducing atmospheric CO2 by scaling carbon management. What do we do?
We operate two distinct businesses:- Advisory & Software: We work with Fortune 500 corporate clients like Microsoft, Shopify, and Alaska Airlines to develop long-term carbon management plans. We’re also building a platform to facilitate the procurement, purchasing, and monitoring of carbon removals, helping make net zero emissions a reality for all businesses.- Investments: We scale the supply of quality removals by investing in high-potential technologies vetted by science-backed sourcing and diligence.
The science is clear: we need to pair CO2 emission reductions with removals to limit global temperatures to 1.5C
, and the time to act is now. Our 40+ leading scientists have expertise in all areas of carbon management, from carbon footprinting to carbon removal procurement, and their insight guides our work.
Our team is data-centric, diverse, and purpose-driven. Join us on one of the greatest journeys of our lifetimes: the transition to net-zero. The RoleThe People & Culture Manager will help build a world-class employee experience at Carbon Direct to ensure we are the best place to work on the planet’s most pressing problem. People & Culture (P&C) at Carbon Direct is grounded in equity and encompasses the end-to-end employee lifecycle including compensation, benefits, performance management, and all People-related systems and infrastructure. You will report directly into the Head of People & Culture and help build many of these functions from scratch. We are a rapidly growing organization where flexibility is highly-valued. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to combine strategic, long-term thinking with daily prioritization and getting things done. This is a career-defining opportunity for a self-starter that is comfortable wearing a lot of hats across the People & Culture function. Although a background in climate work is a plus but not a prerequisite, a passion for solving climate problems is required.
- Roll up your sleeves to execute initiatives across the employee life cycle from onboarding to employee engagement, performance management, compensation and benefits, and employee recognition
- Embed equity & inclusion into all of our practices to help ensure all of our employees feel belonging and thrive at Carbon Direct
- Build and lead our new hire onboarding experience to help ensure our team members feel supported from Day 1
- Help to embed and implement new People & Culture platforms and systems, such as engagement and pulse surveys, as well as improve existing systems, processes and data
- Maintain knowledge, trends, and compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, best practices, and serve as advocate for our employees, providing them with appropriate information as needed
LocationFor this role, we welcome remote employees. We have teams based in the New York, San Francisco, and Seattle metropolitan areas and have a slight preference for candidates in those locations. Benefits
- Demonstrated experience and increasing responsibilities within a People & Culture function, ideally in a fast-paced, outcome-oriented professional environment (consulting, startup, not-for-profit, etc.)
- Solid working knowledge of major People & Culture disciplines, including: diversity, equity & inclusion, total rewards, learning and development, talent acquisition, human resources systems, employee and labor relations
- Excellent communication skills and ability to coach, influence, and partner with various levels of leaders and employees
- Ability to flex across long-term strategic thinking and day-to-day detailed tasks, and deliver projects with an emphasis on employee experience
- Experience building and embedding People & Culture programs and policies across a globally distributed workforce is a plus
- Ability to embrace change: can thrive and create your own structure in a fluid work environment
- Cross-functional collaborator able to relationships with a global, distributed team
- Systems - experience with Lever and Lattice strongly preferred; experience with Google Suite, Slack, Notion, and Zoom a plus
Carbon Direct has a flexible, remote-friendly culture and we support our employees with their remote work set-up needs.
We also offer a competitive benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, voluntary 401k contributions, paid parental leave, and generous paid time off. Equal Opportunity Employer
Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way Carbon Direct selects and approaches the climate crisis, as well as the creativity and applicability of Carbon Direct's advisory and investment work.
Carbon Direct is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. We adhere rigorously to our equal employment opportunity policies in connection with all employment decisions, including hiring, compensation and promotion.