Nautilus Labs is advancing the efficiency of ocean commerce through artificial intelligence. With hubs in New York, Singapore, Paris, and London, the firm is trusted by clients across the globe to help make better, real-time decisions that ultimately unlock transformative outcomes—at sea and onshore. The maritime industry is going through a massive shift towards decarbonization and is actively working to reduce its contribution of 3% of annual anthropogenic GHG emissions and to completely eliminate greenhouse gasses by 2050.
Nautilus Labs is looking for an experienced Senior Product Designer who is motivated by our mission. As a senior Design team member, you can expect to own impactful, cross-functional projects, contribute to product and company strategy, and champion innovative approaches to solving the most important problems for our customers.
You will partner with product managers to conduct research and define problem statements, explore different approaches to solving problems, and design workflows and visual systems that help our customers meet their objectives — optimizing maritime voyages for fuel consumption, profit, and fewer greenhouse gas emissions, and reporting on historical outcomes for their vessels.
- Able to operate autonomously, but recognize that the best ideas are refined through collaboration.
- Excited about being a thought-partner to our company and customers, refining ideas, conducting research, and using your knowledge of software systems to curate potential design opportunities. You understand the possibilities enabled by the systems you design for, but also their limitations.
- Able to balance diligence with speed. You deeply value getting designs right, but also understand the importance of getting them out the door. You strike this balance well, identifying and sponsoring long-term projects that enable better user experiences, but also knowing when to choose more iterative approaches that build toward the long term arc.
- Able to embrace complexity and ambiguity. You think in systems and love to untangle complex problems, breaking down ambiguous feedback into clear, easily understood pieces for other teams.
- Empathetic and compassionate towards clients and users. You pride yourself on deeply understanding the problems, needs, and limitations of customers, and you operate benevolently, seeking to teach what you have learned so your cross-functional partners can build from a customer-first perspective.
- Experienced in collaborating cross-functionally, as a team player, with an ability to work with all levels of the business, influencing teams positively with an open ear to perspectives counter to your own.
- Comfortable working in design tools, specifically Sketch, Figma, and/or Invision.
- Someone who excels in their craft. Your success record is built from 4-6 years of hands-on product design experience working directly with engineers and product managers.
- Early-stage, high-growth startup experience
- Experience designing forms and interfaces for machine learning products
- Experience in B2B enterprise SaaS
- Experience in Service Design
- A technical or quantitative degree
Outcomes For The Role.
- Function as a highly autonomous individual contributor, owning large, cross-functional projects.
- Contribute to design rituals that benefit team execution, build cross-functional relationships, and improve the product
- Lead regular design reviews, critiques, and brainstorming sessions.
- Partner with product managers and other key stakeholders to identify and shape new opportunities for sponsorship and contribute significantly to the direction of the overall product
- Partner with product managers to navigate ambiguity, shape problem statements, map out requirements and timelines, and define data considerations
Our core values.
Get ready to join a group of diverse, smart, talented, and driven individuals. We are looking for people who are motivated by environmentalism and a future where shipping is sustainable and safe. A team member joining Nautilus is...
Location: You may join our US-based team as a member of either the NYC or Remote Hub.
- We’re THOUGHTFUL, with a bias towards action.
- We’re an INCLUSIVE crew, and we are not passengers along for the ride.
- We’re DIRECT and we ask the tough questions.
- We EMPATHIZE with humanity.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.