Who is Optera?
We deliver software and expert services to help the world’s largest companies stop climate change. Our market-leading products provide companies with the tools and insight they need to reduce the environmental impacts of their businesses, supply chains, and products. We are backed by some of the most respected US-based venture capital firms and have a robust client list, including leading Fortune 500 companies such as Dell, Cisco, HPE, Williams-Sonoma, and Target.
What problem are we solving?
We provide companies with the data tools and expert support they need to stop climate change. Major corporations are the largest emitters of carbon emissions. Across the globe, companies are responding to pressure to address climate change by setting goals to aggressively reduce emissions by 2050. Our software enables corporate teams to collect, manage, and analyze emissions data across their operations, supply chain, and products, all with the aim of achieving their goals and saving the planet.
Why work at Optera?
Our team dedicates its skills, talents, and time to make the world a more sustainable place for future generations. We have a collaborative and dynamic culture where everyone plays a critical role and has room to learn and grow. Balance between work and life is key to our success, and we provide our teammates the flexibility and space to thrive personally and professionally.
Why this opportunity?
Our business is growing faster than ever, and we are looking for a core team member to work with our Sales & Service team to support delivery of integrated software and consulting services. You’ll need experience with sustainability and client/project management, but we’ll teach you the ins/outs of delivering our unique SaaS package. If that sounds intriguing, join our team in delivering the most effective sustainability management platform in the world.
The Role and Responsibilities
- Deliver software and consulting services directly to corporate clients
- Work with Optera software, Excel data models and other datasets (LCA, CDP, GHG, etc.) to calculate scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions inventories in accordance with the GHG Protocol
- Design sustainability targets and strategies to achieve client goals across their value chain
- Maintain a high level of quality in proposals and deliverables, and ensure quality assurance according to Optera QA/QC processes
- Lead multiple projects concurrently and work with Optera team members across different specialties and regions
- Support business development activities with existing and prospective clients (e.g. sales calls, proposal drafting, project scoping, and customer education)
- Desire to build and maintain a world-class, supportive, fun and productive work environment
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence, and integrity
- Dedicated to creating an environment that is safe and welcoming to all
- Enjoys dynamic, fast-paced environment and seeks out new challenges
- Enjoys collaborating across all levels of the company
- Demonstrated ability to find ways to add value outside of your defined role
- Humility and sense of humor
- High personal standards and commitment to delivering high quality work products
- Extensive technical knowledge of climate strategy/carbon accounting protocols, methodologies and best practices, including, but not limited to GHG Protocol, Product LCA Standard, TCFD, SBTi, CDP, Net Zero; sustainability strategy and reporting (e.g., GRI, SASB); materiality assessments; and ESG. Experience with water, land use and/or social justice a plus.
- Solid background in, and passion for sustainability, lifecycle assessment, carbon accounting and management, reporting, target setting and strategy development
- Strong quantitative or technical background with an excellent aptitude for analytical thinking
- Track record of selling and supporting sales by scoping solutions to meet customer challenges
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to articulate issues, deliver presentations, and prepare formal written reports
- Experience managing small to medium team projects
- Proficiency with MS Office, particularly PowerPoint, Excel and Word
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Optera is committed to creating a diverse environment that is safe and welcoming to all. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We take this very seriously and expect that you do too.
- Unrestricted PTO and flexible work schedule
- Every other Friday off
- Health insurance including dental and vision
- Short and Long term Disability Insurance
- 12 weeks maternity/paternity leave (8 weeks paid)
- Wellness budget
- Budget for home/office workstation
- Professional development budget
- 401k with 3% company match and ESG investment options
- Company-wide Bonus program
- Colorado Eco-pass (regional bus pass)
- Team happy hours, hikes/bike rides, and ping-pong
Location: Boulder, CO preferred; remote (US and Canada) considered
Salary: $110,000 - $140,000 plus bonus and option for equity
How to Apply
Please send a brief cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Sustainability Project Director – [Your Name].”
Thank you for your interest!