Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
Systems Engineering is an interdisciplinary approach to system design focusing on the process for system development while considering the complete lifecycle of the system. The CFS Systems Engineering team is responsible for creating a set of tools and a culture of engineering rigor to ensure nothing falls through the cracks and that handoffs between systems and external stakeholders are well-managed.
CFS is currently looking to fill several systems engineering positions. We are looking for mechanical, electrical, I&C, and process engineers to provide systems engineering support for our grouped system teams. Our grouped systems include in-vessel, ex-vessel, scientific instrumentation (diagnostics), I&C, and electrical systems. The ideal candidates will have a full understanding of the systems engineering principles and processes.
This team member will:
- Provide systems engineering support to the in-vessel, ex-vessel, scientific instrumentation (diagnostics), I&C, and electrical engineering teams
- Assist in the development of system requirements in the DOORS Next Gen database
- Assist in the development of interface requirements in the DOORS Next Gen database
- With input from the engineering team, perform FMECAs and HAZOPs on SPARC systems
- Assist in the review any changes affecting the SPARC systems for impact to scope, schedule, cost, performance, or interfacing systems
- Manage proposed changes to systems and identify changes to interfacing systems which may impact performance or operations
- Coordinate design reviews, chit reviews, chit burndowns, and closeout reports
- Assist in the development of other system deliverables such as commissioning workflows, operational concepts, etc.
- Provide additional support as needed
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant engineering or science field (e.g., mechanical, systems industrial, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience in systems engineering
- Experience working in the development of large, integrated and complex systems, preferably fusion, accelerator, aerospace, etc
- General knowledge of mechanical, electrical, I&C, and process systems
- Attention to safety
- Strong interpersonal and technical communication skills
- Ability to understand technical documentation including process, mechanical and electrical drawings, testing requirements and specifications
- Knowledge of systems engineering
- Knowledge of process systems
- Knowledge of mechanical systems
- Knowledge of I&C/Electrical systems
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Ability to perform activities such as typing, standing, and sitting for extended periods of time
- Willingness to adhere to safety protocols for hazards such as heat, fumes, noise, and strong magnets
- Willing to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.