Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The SPARC Engineering team are looking for a talented Instrumentation & Control (I&C) engineer, experienced in the design and construction of large industrial facilities. You will be responsible for activities relating to design and construction engineering within the I&C discipline, including leading the definition and implementation of the processes for planning, sequencing, assembling, and issuing of construction Work Packages. You will work closely with engineers across the project on development of component and installation specifications, 3D model coordination, interpreting design drawings and specifications, field verification of materials, monitoring construction progress, response to questions by constructors and providing direction in the field to ensure construction is in compliance with engineering documentation.
This team member will:
- Coordinate with engineering on constructibility and design issues relating to the I&C discipline.
- Identify the content of engineering document packages (Work Packages) required to support construction activities in the field.
- Lead definition and supervise implementation of the process to produce construction work packages using the AVEVA CAD tools
- Plan, sequence, assemble, and issue construction Work Packages
- Establish strong working relationships with the engineering teams responsible for the various process, electrical, instrumentation and control systems to facilitate conversion of engineering/design to physical plant.
- Oversee the maintenance of construction configuration management.
- Responsible for tracking, reporting, and forecasting activities in the field.
- Coordinate with the Procurement Organization for field procured materials, material substitution, services and equipment.
- Review material receiving reports and warehousing to assure delivery of correct I&C materials.
- Coordinate the preparation of cost reports, forecasts, and progress reports.
- Coordinate with Field Supervision and Subcontractors to plan/support construction schedules.
- Recommend and implement procedures to ensure construction remains in compliance with the requirements of engineering and design.
- Ensure engineering and procurement provide timely delivery of drawings, materials, and equipment.
- Review material receiving reports and warehousing to assure delivery of correct electrical materials.
- Support the construction quality program.
- Support problem solving in the field and serve as liaison between Construction and Engineering.
- Support development and implementation of the Request for Information (RFI) process between Construction and CFS engineering.
- Support the commissioning process
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Required Education: BS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Required Experience: Min 5 years in a design and construction environment working in the field of instrumentation and control; Knowledgeable of the process to engineer, design and construct complex industrial projects
- Knowledge/Skills: Electrical codes and standards applicable to the USA, preferably those required in Massachusetts; Ability to produce, read and understand engineering documents issued for construction; Knowledge of instrumentation and controls equipment used in an industrial facility
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Preferred Experience: Construction and technical inspection of instrumentation and control systems; 3D model and schematic design CAD systems and ability to navigate such systems; Commissioning of I&C systems
- Preferred Skill: First-hand experience of using AVEVA Electrical and Instrumentation or similar
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs regularly
- Ability to perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing and sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include hazards, fumes, heat, cold, and noise
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.