The climate crisis means that now, more than ever, we need to act. Here at Piclo, we believe we are not powerless against climate change and are focused on enabling the transition to a decarbonised future. Our team is on a mission to make our energy systems smart, flexible and sustainable.
Piclo Flex is a leading independent marketplace that brings together Flex Providers with System Operators to procure local flexibility services.
Our marketplace enables technologies such as renewables, batteries and electric vehicles to provide local flexibility to our distribution networks, smoothing out the complex transition to a decarbonised future and delivering low-cost and resilient grids.
Who we are looking for
We’re hiring a Project Manager to work alongside our friendly team of project managers, software developers, product managers, designers and more that are at the forefront of transforming the energy sector.
You’ll work delivering software projects of our core product - Piclo Flex in the UK and internationally. Our software stack comprises a single-page app and a microservice backend running on a serverless infrastructure.
You will be managing a large number of stakeholders, including commercial, technical and executive teams within Piclo and externally.
Our ideal candidate meets many - but not necessarily all - of the below criteria:
- 5+ years mix of commercial and project management experience in energy sector
- Track record of successfully managing software integration projects with multidisciplinary teams
- Experience working in high pressure environments with UK and international clients
- You have experience working within teams and can confidently present complex ideas - iterating them through collaboration and using your initiative and determination to see them through to delivery
- You are an exceptional communicator with a process-driven approach to solving problems
- You have a positive, flexible attitude to getting things done and a naturally sunny disposition, making you unabashed in sharing new initiatives with the team and getting buy-in for your ideas
- You enjoy working within a team, sharing responsibilities with other project managers and collaborating to achieve success as a team
- You understand the value of your work as the first and lasting impression of company culture and values, and a key pillar in establishing a happy and productive team
- You are an incredibly motivated and organised person. You enjoy the process of prioritising work and setting timelines while collaborating with cross-functional teams.
- You’re resourceful, resilient, and flexible, and will help clear the path for everyone to do their best work
- You are an excellent communicator who can build relationships with teammates from different disciplines, making sure that everyone is clear about what’s required of them.
- You’re fluent in English, even if it’s not your first language
- Familiarity with applications Google Workspace (for email, calendar and docs) and Airtable, Trello or similar (the whole team manages their priorities through a number of boards), Slack (for online communication)
- Experience in scale-up environments
- You are motivated by Piclo’s mission to make our energy system smart, flexible and clean
- You are naturally empathic and are always mindful of the humans who use and benefit from your work
- Additional languages would be beneficial
Your key objective is to manage Piclo’s external commercial and innovation software projects such as OneNet. Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- You will be responsible for ensuring the smooth delivery of projects on time and within budget
- You will be the primary point of contact for key project stakeholders
- You will need to ensure close alignment and communication between Piclo’s commercial and production teams
- You will be responsible for planning resource availability to deliver projects
- You will be responsible for maintaining project risk registers
- You will work closely with the CTO, CPO and other Product Managers to effectively prioritise work according to project deadlines and the wider product roadmap
- You will share responsibility for communicating internally how the work you’re championing is progressing
- You may be required to help conduct internal tests (QA) and external tests (User Testing) with the support of other team members
- You’ll be responsible for communicating newly released work externally, be that directly with stakeholders via demonstrations or to a wider audience via webinars
- You’ll need a strong understanding of the product and how software development processes work
- You will work closely with the CEO, CCO and other commercial team members to manage commercial aspects of projects, including the development of monetisation strategies and rollout plans
- You will liaise with the clients of your projects as the primary point of contact
- You will be responsible for engaging with legal advisors to ensure contractual requirements for all stakeholders are met
- You will share responsibility for managing the pipeline of projects in order to meet company objectives
- You will share responsibility for the development of any commercial proposals and collateral required to secure project funding or sponsors
- You will liaise with other commercial team members to maintain positive, productive relationships with external stakeholders
What we can offer
- £52-62k, with standard share options and bonus scheme
- 25 days holiday (plus Bank Holidays)
- 35 hour week - with flexible working hours (within core business hours)
- Hybrid working - with a minimum requirement to come into the office once a week, to meet with your team
- Life Assurance, Income Protection and private Healthcare with Vitality (medical history disregarded)
- A monthly expense budget for the extra kit or tools you might need to get your job done to the best of your abilities at home
- Annual allowance to spend on professional development
- Regular off-site - where the whole company gets together
- A super welcoming, supportive, collaborative and transparent culture where the priority is to help shape your role to find the best balance between what we need as a business and your career progression plans.
Who we are
Founded in 2013 by Andy, Alice and James, we are a quickly growing team of +40. Having completed a successful Series A round during 2020 and with backing from the Clean Growth Fund and Mott MacDonald Ventures, Piclo is a tech company poised to disrupt the way that electricity grids are run worldwide.
Piclo Flex is the leading independent marketplace that enables technologies, such as electric vehicles, to provide flexibility to electricity grids. With the rise in demand for renewables and clean technologies, our grids come under more stress and face challenges in maintaining the delicate balance of supply and demand. Piclo Flex smooths out the complex transition, delivering low-cost and resilient grids.
We know “flexibility” can be quite complex to understand at first, here’s a short video that explains “what are flexibility services?”
Our team welcomes everyone to work together on our mission. We don’t believe that anyone should be discriminated against for any reason, be that age, nationality, gender, race, sexual preferences, religious beliefs, political leanings or disabilities. We welcome diversity among our colleagues and see it as important that everyone is supported and comfortable working with us.
How to apply and interview process
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with Project Manager in the subject line (or click the Apply button below) and tell us about your skills and experience, and why you think you’d be a good fit for this role.
Please include either a copy of your CV, the URLs for your personal site or Linkedin profile, as well as URLs to any relevant public repositories that might support your application. Please note that, at this stage, we’re more interested in hearing why you think you’re a good match for us and the role.
We conduct interviews in three stages
- Introductory call: we’ll invite you for a short video call to discuss your experience and what you’re looking for in your next role
- Challenge: If successful, applicants will be invited to complete a challenge relevant to the skills required in your role
- Final interview: if successful, applicants will then be invited to a final, in-depth interview to meet additional members of the team