Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to defend magnificent places and irreplaceable ecosystems; to transition our economy to 100% clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, tribes, individuals, and communities to address the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Chicago, Honolulu, Houston, New Orleans, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
Earthjustice’s new Gulf Regional Office will work across all three of Earthjustice’s core program areas—healthy communities, climate and energy, and lands, oceans and wildlife. In collaboration with our clients and partners, we will fight for clean air and water and to combat unjust pollution burdens; we will fight for an equitable clean energy transition and for climate solutions that work for everyone; and we will fight to protect the magnificent lands, waters and wildlife in the Gulf. Earthjustice has a significant body of work in the Gulf and this new office will expand our capacity in this critical region.
The Senior Attorney position is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and creative attorney to use their skills, the power of law, and the strength of partnership to help deliver meaningful results for the Gulf region. The Senior Attorney will have the opportunity to contribute to the strategic growth of our litigation and advocacy docket, support existing partners and cultivate new partnerships, while fighting for a healthy and just Gulf.
This position is located in Houston, but supports the work throughout the Gulf region.Responsibilities
• Lead complex cases and perform the full range of litigation tasks, including factual investigation, legal research, discovery, briefing, witness preparation, trials, and oral advocacy, and otherwise manage new and existing cases in state or federal courts and administrative tribunals from beginning to end.
• Develop cases and legal advocacy strategies, in coordination with clients, other attorneys, experts, and partners, to support the goals of the Gulf Regional Office and Earthjustice’s strategic vision.
• Collaborate in team problem solving, litigation strategy, project management and trial work.
• Cultivate new allies and engage in partnerships with, and representation of, community groups, Tribal entities, workers, advocacy organizations and coalitions, and others.
• Help develop and execute effective communications and, where appropriate, legislative strategies and serve as a spokesperson for Earthjustice, clients, and partners.
• Supervise the work of Associate Attorneys, Interns, and Litigation Assistants, and train and mentor Associate Attorneys, including by building their skills in the course of legal advocacy.
• Support and contribute to a positive, respectful, supportive, and collegial work environment and help to advance Earthjustice’s efforts to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that centers around equity and justice.
• Work collaboratively and effectively with colleagues throughout Earthjustice, including in the Litigation, Communications, Development, and Policy and Legislation departments.
• Participate in training and professional development opportunities appropriate to the role and the organization.Qualifications
• Law school graduate admitted, or willing to apply for admission, to the bar of the State of Texas.
• Attorney with 6+ years litigation experience and the ability to litigate cases from beginning to end, independently if necessary.
• Excellent litigation skills, including legal research, writing, analytical, and oral advocacy skills.
• Ability to develop cases and manage a litigation docket effectively.
• Ability to work independently and in collaboration with client partners and in leading a litigation team.
• Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships and work collaboratively with a diverse set of clients and partner organizations in legal and advocacy work.
• Ability to work effectively with technical experts.
• Strong skills in communicating litigation and advocacy goals and messages to the media.
• Strong and demonstrated initiative, judgment, creativity, flexibility, and work ethic.
• Awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
• Ability and commitment to help create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
• Willingness and ability to effectively supervise and intentionally mentor early career staff in connection with litigation and advocacy projects, and to help foster an inclusive and nurturing work environment.
• Ability and willingness to travel as needed, including for case work, court appearances, and meetings with clients and partners.
• Commitment to serving the public interest and a passion for the role of Earthjustice and its mission.Salaries at Earthjustice are determined by experience level and location.
This salary has been updated to reflect FY23 rates. Salary in Houston, TX: $142,000+
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. As a 501(c)(3) organization, Earthjustice is a qualifying employer for purposes of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
For litigators and advocates committed to saving the planet and the people who depend on it, being a Senior Attorney at Earthjustice is the best job on the planet
. Learn more about our Senior Attorney careers and work online here: https://earthjustice.org/about/jobs/senior-attorney
Interested candidates should submit a:
- One- or two-page cover letter that addresses (1) why you are drawn to Earthjustice’s mission and utilizing litigation to achieve that mission; and (2) aspects of your background that demonstrate competence to work with diverse clients and colleagues.
- Legal writing sample.
- List of three professional references.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies. Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.