We are looking for team players who are excited about being part of a fast-moving company, curious enough to ask questions and explore new ideas, passionate enough to serve our customers and communities, and ready to take ownership of challenges and grow with us. We are a team, first and foremost, and we take pride in our collaborative efforts; Everyone is accountable for achieving our goals.
Motiv is looking for a Senior Embedded Software Engineer to join the engineering team as a key contributor. As part of a small team, you will develop firmware for various components that comprise Motiv’s EV solution. Responsibilities include technical leadership, software design, coding, testing, and debugging. Candidates should enjoy getting their hands dirty and debugging in hardware with digital probes, oscilloscopes, as well as contributing to Motiv’s long-term software vision. May require occasional domestic travel, less than 5%. This position reports to the Software Engineering Manager and is based in Foster City, CA.
- Work with management, architects, and developers to create cost-effective, flexible, reliable software solutions which scale with our business
- Design, develop, implement, and maintain embedded vehicle control software in C
- Independently perform board bring-up and code debug, including utilization of associated tools such as oscilloscopes, logic and protocol analyzers, JTAG and trace pods
- Fulfill all specified and derived requirements, including: safety, timing, and signal processing requirements of control algorithms for chassis systems, power converters, and motor controllers
- Conduct requirements analysis, develop requirements documents and design documents
- Conduct requirements and design reviews
- Develop and document test plans, tests, and track results
- Participate in peer design and code reviews
- Participate in and encourage continuous improvement of software quality
- Adhere to Motiv company policies and procedures, as well as software best-practices
Education and Experience:
- BS in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Electrical Engineering with Software Emphasis
- Strong understanding of software engineering principles, including SW Quality Assurance and full SDLC
- 7 years industry experience developing real-time software for embedded systems required
- Strong proficiency in C - ability to understand compiler output (assembly)
- Experience implementing control algorithms; strong understanding of control theory
- Experience with both RTOS and bare-metal systems
- 4 years’ hands-on experience at the software-hardware interface
- Strong analytical and communications skills
- Familiarity with Python and bash
- MS in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Electrical Engineering with Software Emphasis
- Experience as a technical lead
- Experience developing safety-critical systems
- Experience in automotive industry, CAN bus, etc.
- $125,000.00-$165,000.00 (Salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education and training.)
This is a regular full-time position based in Foster City, CA.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Dental, Vision, HSA, Health & Dependent Care FSA, 401(k) with company match, company paid Basic Life and AD&D, employee paid Voluntary Life and AD&D.
- Generous PTO policy, 11 Paid Company Holidays
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and Education Reimbursement
- Fresh daily snacks and a healthy Work/Life Balance
- Access to Perks at Work - Discounted learning, tickets, electronics, travel, health, restaurants & retail.
- Free Online Training & Development
- Bicycle friendly, with bike storage available to all Foster City employees with a 5 minute walk to the scenic Bay Front.
- Regular Happy Hours, Company Cultural Events, and more!
Motiv Power Systems is the medium-duty commercial electric vehicle (EV) leader that frees fleets from fossil fuels. Founded in 2009, the Bay Area-based, commercial EV company draws on 14 years of experience to create accessible, cost-effective, and innovative EV technology for organizations that are the backbone of the economy.
Motiv has more than 150 all-electric trucks and buses on the road with businesses of all sizes, across a broad spectrum of industries, including linen, parcel, food, hospitality, airports, higher education, pupil transportation, and more. Motiv vehicles operate at over 98 percent uptime, and have logged more than two million miles, while also offering fleets up to 85 percent operation and maintenance cost savings. Motiv’s proven EV technology provides operators with a healthier, smoother, and more profitable driving experience.