With a clear and inspiring vision, smart strategies, and significant and sustained financial support, we are growing our team and seeking an entrepreneurial Head of Fundraising to join our leadership team. This position reports to the organization’s CEO.
In this newly created position, the Head of Fundraising is a highly strategic relationship builder and creative leader with proven ability to raise funds at six-to eight-figure levels from individual donors, foundations, and corporate partners. They are passionate about solving the climate crisis by focusing on the strategies that will make the biggest impact, including a just transition to clean energy and demand-side electrification. The Head of Fundraising is energized by the challenge of the climate crisis and has a strong track record of working with climate philanthropists and funders to resource innovative solutions.
The Head of Fundraising leads the design of Rewiring America’s revenue plan, oversees successful implementation, and builds and inspires a team to expand the organization’s pipeline of investors in order to resource the next stage of transformational scale. We are building a $30 million organization in the next two years. Foundations and family offices are currently our largest source of revenue, and we seek to diversify our model to reflect investment from the private sector, including individuals, membership income, corporate partnerships, and other revenue streams. The Head of Fundraising partners with the CEO, other senior leadership, and key advisors to build out Rewiring’s network of investors, while identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding their own portfolio.
This is a public-facing and high profile role for a proven leader who has a stellar track record of setting and achieving bold and inspiring revenue goals. In doing so, the Head of Fundraising will further establish Rewiring America as the national leader and movement builder on electrification and the go-to resource for policymakers, policy influencers, climate advocates, community leaders, and culture creators alike.
What You’ll do
The inaugural Head of Fundraising holds key responsibilities that will evolve over time as the team grows and functions are distributed. During the first year of the role, we anticipate a focus on the following:
- Develop and implement an ambitious revenue plan in support of Rewiring’s short-mid-range, and long-range vision and goals.
- Manage focused initiatives and campaigns to secure major and leadership gifts and foundation and corporate grants.
- Ensure innovation and success of an annual fundraising program that may involve small dollar and mid-level donors.
- Identify opportunities to boost Rewiring’s visibility and leadership in the philanthropic landscape.
- Track trends and opportunities to ensure that the case for support expresses Rewiring’s unique value proposition and considers donor/ funder priorities.
- Lead the fundraising team to deliver against annual revenue targets, serving as a chief fundraiser alongside the CEO.
- Initiate, develop, and manage high-value relationships (principally $100k+) that result in significant income and value to Rewiring America, developing strategic relationships with investors, and making or facilitating specific asks for financial support.
- Develop and implement strategies consistent with the goal of increasing annual revenue to $30 million in the next two years.
- Maintain a robust portfolio of major and leadership donors, foundation and corporate partners, building lasting relationships and moving these relationships through the identification/qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship cycles.
Funder Cultivation and Pipeline Growth
- Develop, grow, and manage the pipeline of high net worth individuals, foundations, and corporations who will invest in Rewiring’s growth and impact.
- Oversee an effective research effort to ensure that Rewiring America can identify and progress relationships with prospective high-value investors, effectively leveraging the existing base and identifying new funding prospects to build a broader, better-qualified, and more robust prospect pipeline.
- Collaborate with colleagues to design, test, and implement novel revenue generation strategies that can diversify our income streams.
- Design and deliver engagement opportunities such as webinars, receptions, mailings, and events for donors and prospects.
- Ensure timely and accurate gift processing and donor/funder acknowledgement.
- Ensure consistent and meaningful communications with investors to facilitate strong relationship building and stewardship.
- Ensure that proposals and reports to investors are properly prepared, submitted, and tracked and that the objectives of grants and funding agreements are met and reported according to appropriate deadlines.
- Ensure the integrity and functionality of the donor database, including best practices in tracking donor data with the highest degree of security, meeting all U.S. federal standards and regulations as required.
Team Building & Management
- Serve as a member of the senior leadership team of Rewiring America, with responsibilities for the overall growth, effectiveness, and impact of the organization.
- Based upon the revenue plan, design an investment team structure that ensures innovation, cohesion, and success in meeting revenue targets.
- Actively recruit and manage investment staff, including establishing annual objectives, provide regular feedback and appropriate recognition, conduct annual performance reviews, and support ongoing professional development.
- Collaborate with the investment team to create, update, and implement efficient and effective investment-related systems and procedures.
- Develop dashboards to track progress and benchmarks against the revenue plan and proactively produce reports and analyses of campaigns to inform strategies and improve results, including donor retention and satisfaction.
- Develop and gain approval for an annual budget for investment, manage the investment budget, and ensure cost effectiveness of efforts.
- Oversee the contracts of and maintain relationships with core vendors and consultants who support investment efforts.
- Build and sustain an organizational culture that promotes the relationship between philanthropy fundraising and the mission and goals of Rewiring America.
Communications and Marketing
- In partnership with the Head of Communications & Brand, strategically position investment opportunities and integrate messages into publications, grant submissions, reports, and collateral for cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding investors.
- Support the development of materials and pitch decks to reflect the investment opportunities at Rewiring.
- Serve as a key spokesperson for Rewiring America, representing the organization as appropriate in public forums and effectively communicating the mission and case for support.
The incoming Head of Fundraising will be driven by a belief in and commitment to Rewiring America’s vision, mission, and approach. Through their track record and expertise as a fundraiser in the private or nonprofit sector, the successful candidate will develop and drive Rewiring’s revenue plan. The Head of Fundraising builds authentic and lasting relationships with investors, listening to their interests and goals and engaging with them as partners in Rewiring’s work. They are creative and ambitious, with the practicality and know-how to generate momentum and scale.
The successful Head of Fundraising joins a fast-paced team that operates with a sense of urgency and a track record of success in science, technology, art, business, policy, and politics. The Head of Fundraising is entrepreneurial and has the experience of growing / scaling a successful investment operation. Rewiring America has the opportunity to take its work to the next level and seeks a leader with ambition, determination, and the ability to instill confidence, trust, and inspiration in others.
This role requires an ethos of collegiality, strong collaboration skills, and the ability to manage through influence in a matrixed team. Despite the enormity of the challenges that lie ahead, Rewiring America’s leadership understands how to celebrate successes and seeks a Head of Fundraising who leads with positivity and a belief in what is possible. The successful candidate demonstrates a zeal for revenue generation and climate justice and models excellence and integrity in all they do. The selected candidate will also possess most of the following Core and Preferred qualifications:
- Strong commitment to the mission, vision, policies, and goals of Rewiring America.
- At least 10 years of increasing responsibility in fundraising, with a proven track record of securing six-to eight-figure level investments from individuals and institutions.
- Experience designing and leading innovative campaigns and successful efforts in donor cultivation, engagement, and stewardship.
- Proven leadership skills with clarity of vision and a commitment to the highest levels of integrity, quality, and collaboration, developing strong team cultures, promoting and enhancing equity, diversity, and inclusion, performance management, and professional development.
- Mastery of relationship-building skills with a wide range of diverse external constituencies, from small-dollar donors to high net worth individuals.
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills that demonstrate an ability to:
- Convey a compelling story about Rewiring’s mission and impact;
- Translate complex data and analysis into persuasive narratives;
- Communicate Rewiring’s strategies with accessible expertise (without jargon).
- Ability to manage a growing team with competing demands; not easily flustered nor easily overwhelmed by a high volume of activity and projects.
- Sets and achieves high-performance expectations that are motivating and results-oriented.
- Seeks out and delivers timely and direct feedback that contributes to the ongoing development of oneself, team members and a positive organizational culture.
- Promptly resolves problems through timely consultation in an environment of mutual respect.
- Highly collaborative work style with the ability to operate as a peer and thought partner to the CEO, other leadership team members, and advisors.
- Experience in the climate movement with an understanding of the current funding landscape and players.
- Entrepreneurial drive to build an organization from the ground up; prior start-up experience is optimal.
- Content knowledge in demand-side electrification and/or renewable energy.
The salary range for this position is highly competitive and commensurate with experience. Rewiring America also offers a very generous and competitive benefits package, including includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, 6% employer match on 401k contributions, pre-tax transportation benefits, and paid holidays, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
Commitment to Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Rewiring America values diversity in all its forms and is committed to inclusive and transparent recruitment, hiring and promotion processes. Candidates of diverse backgrounds and lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
Rewiring America is a project of Windward Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. Windward Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Windward Fund ‘s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, Windward Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at HR@windwardfund.org.