Director, Talent Acquisition and Learning
Advanced Energy Economy (AEE) is a national trade association of businesses that are making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. We work to accelerate the move to 100% clean energy and electrified transportation in the U.S. AEE is the only industry association in the U.S. that represents the full range of advanced energy technologies and services, both grid-scale and distributed. Advanced energy includes energy efficiency, demand response, energy storage, renewable energy, electric vehicles, and more. AEE represents more than 100 companies in the advanced energy industry, which employs 3.2 million U.S. workers.
AEE’s mission is transforming public policy to enable rapid growth of advanced energy businesses. We educate, engage, and advocate in states, in wholesale electricity markets, and at the federal level for executive actions, legislation, and regulations that speed the energy transition and expand the size and value of markets for advanced energy products and services.
AEE seeks a smart, energetic, independent, creative Director of Talent Acquisition and Learning (Director) to join AEE’s Operations Team. Reporting directly to the Senior Vice President of Finance and Operations (SVP), the Director will be responsible for AEE’s hiring and internal training functions. The Director will bring our talent strategy to life and further refine and develop the processes in place, while simultaneously balancing the strategic and the tactical in a period of sustained growth.
AEE is in a period of sustained growth and this role will be responsible for the entire cycle of position posting to continual employee learning. This position has supervisory responsibilities for an Operations Associate, as well as partial responsibility for the Operations Principal.
- Develop best practices related to talent acquisition. Serve as a strategic thought partner to ensure vacant positions are filled with qualified candidates in a cost effective, efficient manner
- Work closely with the SVP and other members of the leadership team on staffing decisions, workforce & success planning, performance intervention & management
- Maintain and manage relationships with external recruiter; determine which positions require a retained search
- Develop and maintain a pipeline of talent, specifically for frequently posted policy positions
- Refine interview process and provide coaching to teammates on interviewing skills and processes
- Coordinate with the relevant team members to develop position descriptions and strategize the best location for posting
- Develop and implement a process for pre-screening candidate
In coordination with SVP, understand compensation strategy and ensure integrity of bands in the hiring process
- Assess internal training needs and develop training plans for policy team
- Conduct organization wide training needs assessment and identify skills or knowledge gaps that need to be addressed
- Select appropriate training method or activities (e.g. in person learning, learning lunches, simulations, etc.)
- Assess instructional effectiveness (KPIs) and determine impact of training on employees’ skills
- Assess and refine training provided during employee’s onboarding process
- Research and recommend alternative effective training methods
- Manage employee professional development reimbursement plan
- Lead employee performance management cycle and use results to inform learning priorities
Assess and redefine employee performance review process
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 4+ years recruiting experience in talent acquisition function or as a hiring manager required
- Depth of talent acquisition knowledge in all components of operating a recruitment function such as sourcing techniques, workforce planning, succession planning, interview process, interview compliance, diversity and inclusion knowledge applied to hiring process
- Entrepreneurial approach, desire to learn, flexible attitude, and ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment. "Growth Mindset" with a willingness to step outside of your comfort zone
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both written and verbal
- Possesses a strategic mindset and is comfortable thinking a few steps ahead of where the current talent needs are, and type of services affiliated programs will need
- Working knowledge (or willingness to learn) of current state and federal rules and regulations regarding recruitment and employment laws
- Familiarity with the methods and principles for designing programs to teach, train and instruct both groups and individuals, including the means of assessing the effects of training
- Knowledge and interest in instructional design
- Ability to develop training curriculum that meets the learning needs of the team
- Intellectual curiosity, inquisitive nature, and excellent listening and problem-solving skills
- Some travel may be required (10-20%)
- Ideally, an interest in clean energy initiatives and policies
Special Application Instructions
Applicants should include a current resume and cover letter expressing interest in this position, organization, and description of relevant experience.
Job type: Full-time, remote
Location: Flexible, east coast preferred
Start Date: August 1, 2022
Salary: Starting at $100,000
Advanced Energy Economy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, sex, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. We are committed to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice across our organization (“DEIJ”). We also incorporate these values into our mission of making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. We know that varied perspectives and a commitment to social justice are needed to succeed in making the United States an advanced energy economy. We commit to building and supporting an inclusive workforce that represents different cultures, backgrounds, and viewpoints.