Nearly half of global greenhouse gas emissions come from burning fuel in kilns, turbines, and boilers to support industrial processes and electricity generation. To achieve net-zero all industries must find clean heat solutions. Today clean electricity is available when the wind blows and the sun shines, but we lack a technology that translates this to reliable, low-cost, high-temperature heat. While electric heating has been deployed in niche applications, poor durability and expensive electricity limits widespread adoption. Electrified Thermal is on a mission to decarbonize industry with renewable heat. We are building the Joule Hive™ thermal battery: an energy storage technology that converts and stores cheap, renewable electricity as high-temperature heat. Our patented technology revolutionizes the durability of affordable electric heating to deliver flame-temperatures to any process. Our vision is to mitigate gigatons of CO2 emissions per year by deploying the Joule Hive™ at every industrial furnace, turbine, boiler and kiln for 100% decarbonization by 2050. Electrified Thermal is a rapidly growing startup with support from the US DOE ARPA-E, Massachusetts Clean Energy Center, Activate, and NREL-Shell Gamechanger (GCxN). We just closed a $4.5M
seed round with several mission aligned venture firms including Clean Energy Ventures, Starlight Ventures, and the Grantham Foundation. Over the past two years we have built a productive and enjoyable workplace with culture rooted in equity and respect. Join us if you are
Looking to tackle complex challenges with outsized impactsPassionate about preventing climate changeMotivated to creatively and collaboratively solve problemsA self-starter who is willing to dig in and do whatever it takes to get the job donePosition Overview
As a materials engineer, you will help define the technology roadmap for Joule Hive™ thermal battery through the development and optimization of novel ceramic materials. You will report directly to the CTO.
- Execute test campaigns to verify material performance.
- Conduct high temperature electrical and thermal testing, materials characterization, and complex data analysis.
- Work with outside vendors to arrange for property measurements and testing.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams to communicate and integrate findings into system design.
- Manage and develop relevant safety policies including laboratory SOPs, administrative and engineering safety controls, waste management. This may include working with external consultants.
- Work with team to implement and stay compliant with established safety policies.
- Execute multiple ongoing projects while staying within project budgets and schedules.
- Break complex projects into manageable, defined tasks with associated scopes and completion timelines.
Skills and Experience
- Master or PhD in materials science or similar field with a preference for research on ceramics, electronic materials, joule heating, and/or semiconductors.
- Proficient in hands on experiment design including materials process, structure, properties and performance.
- Familiar with electric furnace operation and data acquisition.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Organized, detail-oriented
- Team-oriented, adaptable, and loves to question assumptions
- Devises creative solutions without losing focus on the defined scope and timeline.
Medical, dental, and vision, is 100% covered for employees.20 days of paid vacation, 9 federal holidays 401(k)Location and Hours
ETS is located in Medford, MA. For this role, regular on-site work is expected. Flexibility in schedule and virtual work may be accommodated. ETS is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
We believe people are the catalyst for success, and therefore seek those with diverse backgrounds and perspectives to maximize our impact. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.