Nearly half of global greenhouse gas emissions come from burning fuel in kilns, turbines, and boilers to support industrial processes and electricity generation. To achieve net-zero all industries must find clean heat solutions. Today clean electricity is available when the wind blows and the sun shines, but we lack a technology that translates this to reliable, low-cost, high-temperature heat. While electric heating has been deployed in niche applications, poor durability and expensive electricity limits widespread adoption. Electrified Thermal is on a mission to decarbonize industry with renewable heat. We are building the Joule Hive™ thermal battery: an energy storage technology that converts and stores cheap, renewable electricity as high-temperature heat. Our patented technology revolutionizes the durability of affordable electric heating to deliver flame-temperatures to any process. Our vision is to mitigate gigatons of CO2 emissions per year by deploying the Joule Hive™ at every industrial furnace, turbine, boiler and kiln for 100% decarbonization by 2050. Electrified Thermal is a rapidly growing startup with support from the US DOE ARPA-E, Massachusetts Clean Energy Center, Activate, and NREL-Shell Gamechanger (GCxN). We just closed a $4.5M
seed round with several mission aligned venture firms including Clean Energy Ventures, Starlight Ventures, and the Grantham Foundation. Over the past two years we have built a productive and enjoyable workplace with culture rooted in equity and respect. Join us if you are
Looking to tackle complex challenges with outsized impactsPassionate about preventing climate changeMotivated to creatively and collaboratively solve problemsA self-starter who is willing to dig in and do whatever it takes to get the job donePosition Overview
As a FEA thermal modeling engineer, you will develop best practices for modeling the first of a kind demonstration of the Joule Hive™ thermal battery. You will play a key role in informing the product design process by reconciling the physics simulations with the experimental efforts of the team with robust benchmarking efforts. You will report directly to the CTO.
- Develop modeling best practices for the first of a kind demonstration of the Joule Hive™ thermal battery.
- Benchmark joule heating of novel geometries and materials.
- Collaborate with the experimental test group to inform model inputs and test design.
- Simulate performance of heat generation and heat transfer of the Joule Hive technology.
- Collaborate with broader team to translate experimental findings into customer-facing applications.
- Document and communicate system design constraints and opportunities.
- Leverage and develop automated processes to efficiently solve problems.
- Execute multiple ongoing projects while staying within project budgets and schedules.
- Break complex projects into manageable, defined tasks with associated scopes and completion timelines.
- Keep up with the latest tools and programs; perform technical research and self-training as needed.
Skills and Experience
- Experience in FEA and CFD, ideally ANSYS Fluent and ANSYS Mechanical
- Master or PhD in mechanical engineering or similar field with specific experience in heat and mass transfer, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and energy systems.
- Demonstrated expertise in design characterization and benchmarking of industrial plant (or equivalent) components.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organized, detail-oriented
- Team-oriented, adaptable, and loves to challenge assumptions
- Devises creative solutions without losing focus on the defined scope and timeline.
Medical, dental, and vision, is 100% covered for employees.20 days of paid vacation, 9 federal holidays 401(k)Location and Hours
ETS is located in Medford, MA. For this role, regular on-site work is expected. Flexibility in schedule and virtual work may be accommodated. ETS is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
We believe people are the catalyst for success, and therefore seek those with diverse backgrounds and perspectives to maximize our impact. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.