Spherical is a strategic design and integrative research studio supporting projects regenerating the health and integrity of Earth’s living ...View Company Profile
Spherical is hiring an Art Director / Production Designer to set and maintain an aesthetic vision and in-world continuity across a suite of online experiences (including short videos, interactive mapping tools, and games) supporting climate resilience in Los Angeles. This position is located in Los Angeles County as part of a remote team.
What You'll Do
- Translate a conceptual strategy and moodboarding into a cohesive production design and art direction
- Generate team alignment on the art direction and its ongoing evolution
- Source artists, including illustrators, visual UI designers and animators, to produce production assets in service of art direction for worldbuilding.
- Oversee the production of art assets for both software applications and videos in line with the art direction
- Oversee the documentation and standardization of artistic guidelines as part of a broader design system
What You Need
- 5+ years of related experience in production design for virtual, animated, and/or cinematic worlds.
- Experience art directing under a diverse range of conceptual domains and aesthetics
- Ability to translate conceptual direction and essence of place (specifically Los Angeles) into a clear aesthetic direction
- Ability to inspire creative work in others
- Strong communication and ability to provide rationale behind artistic decisions
- Desire to collaborate across functions
- Familiarity with (and love for!) diverse places within the Los Angeles basin
Spherical is a strategic design and integrative research studio supporting projects regenerating the health and integrity of Earth’s living systems.
Spherical is building a field kit of open-source tools to support community-driven climate resilience in Los Angeles. Co-designed with community organizers, climate scientists, policymakers, and infrastructure developers, our tools support diverse communities in dreaming into collective visions of whole, more-than-human futures. Our field kit includes interactive media for teaching whole-systems approaches to climate resilience, a tool to support collaborative visioning, and a game for sketching possible scenarios. This unique assemblage of domains and media calls for a diverse team of creative collaborators. We encourage women and people of color to apply.
Below is a sample of prior work for this project: