A better planet with every search - Ecosia
, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's largest social businesses and the first B Corporation
in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable world, we are planting and protecting forests by enabling people to channel their everyday actions into environmental good. So far our 20 million users have planted over 150 million trees. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant native and biodiverse trees worldwide!
We are looking for a freelance Data Engineer
to join us in Berlin or remotely and help bring our data team to the next level!
You should be passionate about data and promote a culture of data-driven mentality. You will support the product teams to shape the future of Ecosia’s products and train cross-functional teams on how to use data to make decisions.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work behind the scenes and boost the quality of our products which are used by millions of users.
YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE AN IMPACT:
- Review the Airflow setup: create a strong CI setup, strengthen the way to test dags locally, and create best practices and templates for tests.
- Transform Snowplow infrastructure: identify infrastructure changes to reduce costs of Snowplow services in our AWS infrastructure (e.g. EC2/EMR setup).
- Create SLO/SLAs on every service owned by the team and find an efficient way to report on them.
- Data quality processes: help to improve and build data quality processes together with QA and frontend team.
- New pipelines (EMR/Spark) to distribute the load from Redshift to other services (e.g. S3/Athena), and enable reduction of Redshift usage and cost.
- Review and advise on AWS infrastructure setup.
- Make it easy for the engineering team to build machine learning-based products (MLOps).
- Provide training on the work done for the rest of the Data/BI team.
YOUR AREAS OF KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERTISE:
- You have 4+ years of experience building and deploying large-scale data processing pipelines and analyzing data.
- Hands-on experience with our data pipeline tech stack: Managing data with dbt, Airflow, AWS Redshift, Athena, Airflow or Luigi (Python), AWS EMR, PySpark.
- You have knowledge about extracting, loading, and transforming information from different data sources into a data lake or a data warehouse model.
- You are capable of writing and optimizing complex SQL queries and data transformations.
- Experience with optimizing Snowplow Insights infrastructure is nice to have.
- You are fluent in English (German not required).
- References of previous projects.
- What if your job made a real difference to the climate crisis? Join Ecosia and support planting millions of trees where people and ecosystems need them most.- We offer you the opportunity to balance work with other parts of your life. (Flexible working hours, more vacation days than the law requires (30 days/year on a five-day week), two no meeting days, remote work options).- We are a team of more than 25 nationalities that includes people from different sexual orientations, ages, races, physical/mental abilities, child/pet/plant parents non-traditional backgrounds.- We enable you to live sustainably through our green benefits, such as subsidized public transport cards, bike inspection, green electricity allowance, etc.- We support your professional growth through monthly learning days, hack days, online and physical library, 2000€ development allowance per year, continuous feedback, etc. Useful links:
- Want to know what it's like to work for Ecosia?
- Ecosia’s career page
- 10 questions for Ecosia’s Founder and CEO
If you’re living with a disability, illness, and/or neurodiversity or are primary caregivers, feel free to let us know how we can adjust and support your application process. For instance, we can provide different tools, interview formats, or more time for assignments.