Captura is a California-based startup founded in 2021 offering low cost carbon removal using a unique Direct Ocean Capture approach, ...View Company Profile
Do you want to make a material impact in the fight against climate change? Are you excited by the potential of large-scale carbon removal? If so, Captura is seeking a VP of Engineering to join our XPRIZE Milestone Award winning team.
Developed and proven in Caltech’s laboratories, Captura uses established electrochemical concepts to enable gigatonne-scalable solutions for removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere via direct ocean capture. We capture carbon dioxide using only renewable electricity and ocean water, producing no by-products. Captura’s mission is globally scalable carbon removal to support a sustainable future for the world’s climate.
As a member of the executive team, you will design, develop and execute concrete plans for scaling up the pilot scale (1-100 ton-CO2/year) oceanic CO2 capture systems through to large scale commercial carbon removal plants.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establish and execute a technical plan for large scale deployment of the Captura technology at ocean and shore-based sites
- Build a team to execute initial design work for large scale commercial plants, working with Captura’s commercial partners
- Working with the CTO, lead the development and execution of a continuous process of technology optimization, from the lab through to field testing.
- Manage suppliers and OEMs that partner with Captura to design, build and test electrochemical cells and oceanwater treatment systems.
- Validate the scalability and cost model of Captura’s large-scale CO2 capture systems.
- Lead the engineering analysis of electrochemical oceanwater treatment systems for next-generation CO2 capture at scale.
- Manage detailed engineering design and optimization of critical components driving CO2 capture efficiency and durability.
- Foster effective teamwork among engineering staff in a dynamic, fast-paced technical environment.
PRIOR EXPERIENCE & PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES
- 10-15 years experience in large scale deployment of chemical, mechanical or materials engineering systems.
- Experience of managing the transition of new technology from the lab through to commercial deployment
- Highly motivated to work in the emerging CO2 capture industry in an early-stage commercial environment.
- Excellent organizational, communications, and project management skills, adept at handling multiple ongoing responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Possessed of curiosity and motivated to find a better way to do things and question “why not?”
- Ability to spot problems and identify solutions independently.
- Water treatment experience, such as desalination plants, and background in electrochemistry is preferred.
- BS degree in Engineering required; Chemical, Mechanical or Materials Engineering preferred.