Captura is a California-based startup founded in 2021 offering low cost carbon removal using a unique Direct Ocean Capture approach, ...View Company Profile
Do you want to make a material impact in the fight against climate change? Are you excited by the potential of large-scale carbon removal? If so, Captura is seeking a Senior Membrane Chemist to join our XPRIZE Milestone Award winning team.
Developed and proven in Caltech’s laboratories, Captura uses established electrochemical concepts to enable gigatonne-scalable solutions for removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere via direct ocean capture.
We capture carbon dioxide using only renewable electricity and ocean water, producing no by-products. Captura’s mission is globally scalable carbon removal to support a sustainable future for the world’s climate.
High performing ion exchange membranes are one of the critical elements in Captura’s electrodialysis unit, the Senior Membrane Chemist will bring the technical expertise in development of novel ion exchange membranes, improvement and implement of Captura’s proprietary bipolar membrane synthesis, fabrication and scale-up from the laboratory scale to the pilot scale and beyond.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and develop new and improved bipolar membranes
- Scale up membrane manufacturing process and develop manufacturing procedure
- Evaluate membrane performance in electrodialysis unit and provide support for process development and field tests
- Troubleshoot bipolar membrane manufacturing and implement improvements as needed
- Provide leadership in safety, best practices in materials synthesis, process development and related activities.
- Foster effective teamwork among engineering staff in a dynamic, fast-paced technical environment.
PRIOR EXPERIENCE & PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES
- MS in Polymer Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related field of study, with specialization in ion exchange membranes (PhD preferred but not required).
- Ability to work independently and in small teams, in a way that enhances team dynamics, and ability to lead and manage small to medium projects.
- Hands-on capability to comprehensively synthesize, evaluate and predict ion exchange membrane performance.
- A strong technical understanding of cation exchange membrane, anion exchange membrane and bipolar membrane employed in the industrial scale for electrolysis, electrodialysis and other relevant fields.
- Stay abreast with technical reports and published literature; alert technical team of new developments, willingness to test out new concepts to improve performance, yield, etc.
- Highly motivated to work in the emerging CO2 capture industry in an early-stage commercial environment.