The climate crisis means that now, more than ever, we need to act. Here at Piclo, we believe we are not powerless against climate change and are focused on enabling the transition to a decarbonised future. Our team is on a mission to make our energy systems smart, flexible and sustainable.
We’re hiring an HR Director to work alongside our friendly Operations team and wider Piclonaut family of software developers, product managers, designers and more that are at the forefront of transforming the energy sector.
Our core product - Piclo Flex - is in high demand as network operators in the UK, Europe and around the world face the challenge of bringing energy flexibility to their systems without adding thermal generation. Piclo is growing fast in 2022, and poised to grow still faster in 2023 and beyond.
Our ideal candidate meets many - but not necessarily all - of the below criteria:
- Level 7 CIPD certification with at least 3 years’ post-certification experience;
- Proven track record of supporting HR within businesses of 40-200 employees across multiple regions;
- Experience of managing HR functions in a software development business;
- Experience in scale-up environments;
- Committed to continuing personal professional development;
- A caring and compassionate nature towards team members;
- Ability to prioritise a continually evolving workload to ensure a high standard of operational delivery;
- Strong commitment to upholding ethical business progression and best practice;
- Ability to conduct challenging conversations and approach conflict resolution;
- Successfully lead an HR function incorporating talent development/management, ideally in a growing software development business;
- Experience of creating and maintaining training manuals and onboarding processes;
- Role modelling – As a senior member expected to demonstrate and lead on the values, initiatives and culture of the organisation;
- Organisational skills – personal efficiency, time management skills and the ability to prioritise competing demands are key;
- Trust – You will become a trusted confidante on numerous issues, unafraid of giving your opinions and expertise
- You’re resourceful, resilient, and flexible, and will help clear the path for everyone to do their best work.
- You are an excellent communicator who can build relationships with teammates from different disciplines, making sure that everyone is clear about what’s required of them.
- You’re fluent in English, even if it’s not your first language;
- You are motivated by Piclo’s mission to make our energy system smart, flexible and clean;
- You are naturally empathic and are always mindful of the humans who use and benefit from your work.
About the role
The HR Director will lead a small team of HR professionals, reporting to the company’s CFO. The role will include:
- Strategic Growth – working with the leadership team to ensure all our people-related activity is setting us up for continued future success and sustainable growth;
- Strategic Recruitment - delivering a recruitment strategy for different areas of the business, and overseeing relationships with the company’s preferred recruiters to ensure we are attracting the best talent in the market and are seen as a leading place to work in our field;
- Maintaining a sound practical knowledge of employment law and practice across all jurisdictions where the company has staff, and maintaining relationships with appropriate advisors;
- Supporting the growth of your team, encouraging continuing professional education through CIPD, offering coaching to colleagues while maintaining a high-performing HR team;
- Promoting a high performance culture across the business and ensuring talent is identified and developed to contribute to our competitive edge;
- Partnering with each team to help design and shape HR solutions in line with our business strategy;
- Building upon our career development framework so we can support progression throughout the business;
- Performance Management – helping shape performance policies and procedures that positively encourage colleagues and assist with retention;
- Anticipating employee relations issues before they arise and providing proactive and effective advice and support to all employees and line managers;
- Learning and Development – supporting the management team with developing their teams’ people management skills;
- Identifying and designing strategic workforce planning solutions to enable us to resource and manage headcount effectively;
Reward and Benefits – working with the team to continually evolve our offering to attract, retain and motivate our teams;
- Taking responsibility for managing the company’s confidential and sensitive personal data and maintaining full compliance with personal data protection legislation;
What we can offer
- £85k, with standard share options and bonus scheme
- 25 days holiday (plus Bank Holidays)
- 35 hour week - with flexible working hours (within core business hours)
- Hybrid working - with a minimum requirement to come into the office 4 days per month, to meet with your team and other colleagues
- Life Assurance, Income Protection and private Healthcare with Vitality (medical history disregarded)
- A monthly expense budget for the extra kit or tools you might need to get your job done to the best of your abilities at home
- Annual allowance to spend on professional development
- Regular off-site - where the whole company gets together
- A super welcoming, supportive, collaborative and transparent culture where the priority is to help shape your role to find the best balance between what we need as a business and your career progression plans.
Who we are
Founded in 2013 by Andy, Alice and James, we are a quickly growing team of 50+. Backed by Clean Growth Fund and Mott MacDonald Ventures, Piclo is a tech company poised to disrupt the way that electricity grids are run worldwide.
Piclo Flex is the leading independent marketplace that enables technologies, such as electric vehicles, to provide flexibility to electricity grids. With the rise in demand for renewables and clean technologies, our grids come under more stress and face challenges in maintaining the delicate balance of supply and demand. Piclo Flex smooths out the complex transition, delivering low-cost and resilient grids.
We know “flexibility” can be quite complex to understand at first, here’s a short video that explains “what are flexibility services?”
Our team welcomes everyone to work together on our mission. We don’t believe that anyone should be discriminated against for any reason, be that age, nationality, gender, race, sexual preferences, religious beliefs, political leanings or disabilities. We welcome diversity among our colleagues and see it as important that everyone is supported and comfortable working with us. Piclo are expanding internationally, as such, English doesn't have to be your first language but we would like you to be fluent.
How to apply and interview process
To apply, email email@example.com with “HR Director” in the subject line (or click the Apply button below) and tell us about your skills and experience, and why you think you’d be a good fit for this role.
Please include either a copy of your CV, the URLs for your personal site or Linkedin profile, as well as URLs to any relevant public repositories that might support your application. Please note that, at this stage, we’re more interested in hearing why you think you’re a good match for us and the role.
We conduct interviews in three stages:
- Introductory call: we’ll invite you for a short video call to discuss your experience and what you’re looking for in your next role.
- Challenge: If successful, applicants will be invited to complete a challenge relevant to the skills required in your role
- Final interview: if successful, applicants will then be invited to a final, in-depth interview to meet additional members of the team
We will be gathering applications during August and expect to begin interviewing successful applicants early in September.