Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Last year, our carbon removal pathway took off with support from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft, and we deployed our first mobile pyrolyzer. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free syngas pilot, substantially expand our operations in the Midwest and put more than 1,000 tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
This is an entry-level software engineering position.
You’ll be responsible for designing and implementing internal tools, control, data analysis, and automations. This includes programming and testing programmable logic controllers (ladder logic), developing graphical user interfaces (Python), and maintaining databases and servers (Linux, bash). As a member of the software team, you will also be interfacing with the rest of the R&D team to draw up and prioritize software-related tasks that most benefit research efforts.
In this role, you'll bring:
- Experience building and maintaining internal tools.
- Experience with software for embedded systems, linux, and similar systems.
- Careful note taking, flow-chart building, & verbose comment generation.
- Good practices for coding in a collaborative environment, including version control software.
- Some familiarity with devices that interface with hardware, such as microcontrollers or PLCs.
- Effective communication skills and an enthusiasm for working with other members (non-software) of the Charm R&D team.
These skills are a bonus, but not required...
You would make a great addition to the team if:
- You have worked with mechanical systems.
- You have experience with Raspberry Pis or Arduinos.
- You have worked in a scientific research setting.
- Knowledge of ladder logic.
· You solve problems with creativity and curiosity · You take high ownership of your work from end-to-end· You are eager to learn and teach others · You readily challenge your assumptions when faced with a difficult problem· You collaboratively seek out teammates for feedback and advice· You care deeply about our mission & the transition to a greener, more equitable future
Check out our instagram
to see some shots of the team in action!What We Offer
· Flexible hours & paid time off · Stock option compensation· Medical and dental insurance· Traditional and Roth 401k· Paid parental leave managed through Cocoon· Healthy snacks and lunches· A sweet workplace (Wait until you see our SF Minifactory!) with lots of space inside and out· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas. COVID-19
The nature of our work requires the vast majority of our team to be in-person full time. As the COVID-19 pandemic has evolved, we've continuously adapted our safety policy to keep our team safe and productive. Our current safety policy requires that anyone coming to the office must be vaccinated and wear a mask indoors. If you're invited to our office for an interview, you will be asked for proof of vaccination.Our Commitment
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.