Welcome to the future of energy
We are both an electricity retailer and a tech platform and we think there is no better way to address our greatest challenge, climate change, than with the combination of those two.
Through our proprietary tech platform, Kraken, we are changing the way people interact with their energy company - by making it approachable, low cost, easy-to-understand, and most importantly, 100% renewable. We’ve distinguished ourselves by being named 2020’s Energy Provider of the Year, which highlights our commitment to exceptional customer service. In many markets we are a leading employer on Glassdoor for best places to work.
At Octopus we’re developing a data platform that provides data services to all our retail energy businesses around the world. The platform enables self-service of data analytics to hundreds of data hungry users as well as automation of all our data workflows from simple ETL jobs to ML training and prediction. The data platform team works across the whole customer domain on anything from marketing campaign optimization to helping our traders buy the right amount of energy.
Octopus Energy is growing fast and that means lots of data that needs to be ingested, organized, analyzed and shared with the team. We're looking for an exceptional Head of Data
who will cultivate a fantastic data team experience and continuously deliver features that provide value to our customers.
This is a great opportunity to help solve a diverse range of data and business challenges including market intelligence, financial analysis, sales modeling, and operational efficiency. You’ll be working on analysis to deliver insights and recommendations from the models you build, while shaping the future within a collaborative, community-based environment. As Head of Data, you will oversee a cross functional team and be accountable for the delivery of features; technical quality of code pushed to production; and stewardship of the microservices your team is responsible for. We operate a lean organization with a highly agile development approach, and you'll manage a team of data analysts, engineers, and scientists, ensuring they’re happy, productive & grow in line with their career aspirations.
What you'll do
- Use an analytical, data-driven approach to drive a deep understanding of our fast changing business.
- Work with data scientists, data engineers, and data analysts to scope out and plan new data sources and pipelines.
- Be hands on! Contribute to development across the entire data platform.
- Help drive our global data team culture, working closely with other tech leads across the organization.
- Manage our data team, motivating them and cultivating a transparent & supportive environment where they can ask questions and raise concerns.
- Collaborate regularly with colleagues with many different specialities to create innovative solutions that delight our customers and colleagues.
What you'll have
- A willingness and excitement for contributing individually while simultaneously leading our data team.
- The ability to think strategically about what to work on, what tools to build, what type of analysis is best, etc.
- Knowledgeable in data science (SQL, Python, pandas/numpy, Databricks/Jupyter Notebooks etc), ideally with experience of production environments and working with large data datasets.
- Comprehensive knowledge of data design, data modelling, data management, and data visualisation.
- Passionate about applying modern data tools to solve problems and help colleagues make better decisions.
- The projects will be varied and we’re looking for someone who can work autonomously and proactively to scope problems and solve and deliver pragmatic solutions.
- Experience in building, deploying, and testing BI dashboards.
- Experience in working on collaborative projects with business teams, including technical project management and working with an agile - or similar - approach.
- Passionate about working in energy and contributing to the energy transition.
- Commercial awareness and financial literacy to identify and understand the problems that need solving.
- Has experience with the following technologies; a scripting language (ideally Python), writing complex queries in SQL (dbt experience is a bonus) and building reports and dashboards (we again mostly use Python).
Our data platform stack
- Python as our main programming/scripting language
- Kubernetes for data services and task orchestration
- Airflow purely for job scheduling and tracking
- Circle CI for continuous deployment
- Parquet and Databricks Delta file formats on S3 for data lake storage
- Spark and pandas for data processing
- dbt for data modelling
- Presto and SparkSQL for querying
- Streamlit for data applications
- Tableau for BI
Why else you'll love it here
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options including FSAs.
Unlimited paid time off — we know working hard means also being able to recharge as needed, we trust our employees to get the work done and take the time they need.
401(k) plan with employer match.
Parental leave. Biological, adoptive and foster parents are all eligible.
Pre-tax commuter benefits.
Flexible working environment: you need to shift around your schedule? You do you, we genuinely believe in work/life balance.
Equity Options: every Octopus employee owns part of the business. We’re a team, working together towards huge goals. Every person is crucial to our success, you should be rewarded as such.
Modern office or co-working spaces depending on location.
Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.