Open Earth Foundation is a California-based research and deployment non-profit. We create Open Source technology to increase planetary resilience and ...View Company Profile
Communications and Development Manager - Climate Solutions
Building Awareness of Earth Tech Innovations for Climate ActionHave you created a successful career in marketing & fundraising and are ready to do something good with your skills and experience? If yes, then join us in our mission to design technology solutions that could impact the way climate solutions are deployed for the foreseeable future. Open Earth Foundation is a California-based research and deployment non-profit developing open source innovative technology to push the needle forward in climate action and avoid a catastrophic climate crisis. We are a diverse international team, working remotely with a network of collaborators and partners globally, from the United Nations to cutting edge startups. Now we need more Digital Climate Avengers to help us on our planetary mission and are always ready to have fun saving the world. We have funding and a team of experts focused on building open infrastructure for the Paris Agreement, energy finance, biodiversity tracking, and impact solutions at the intersection of emergent technologies (AI, blockchain, Web3 technologies, IoT devices) and climate innovations. Your mission, should you choose to accept it:As the Development & Communications Manager you will lead the creation, implementation and management of OEF's fundraising and communications strategies. You will help bridge the gap between our climate and tech communities to highlight our mission to create and deploy open source technology solutions for a thriving planet. You will help build our donor base, develop and manage our fundraising strategy, and market our innovative products that have the potential to change the way we track climate data.
- Assist in developing and executing a fundraising strategy to increase revenues in collaboration with Executive team and Board members
- Cultivate donor relationships to maintain and expand funding base
- Lead and/or support expansion and diversification of the funding base/pipeline to increase OEF major initiatives and existing collaborations
- Identify, develop and maintain relationships with potential funders who are mission-aligned and able to support OEF objectives and initiatives.
- Manage / support fundraising strategy (establishing clear OKRs) with a special focus on funding related collaborations and application processes with Multilateral Organizations, Philanthropic Organizations and Foundations
- Prepare marketing materials (decks, 1-pagers, etc) and deliver professional presentations to potential funders and clients with the ability to persuade and close business / collaborations
- Support in identification of and application to foundational and philanthropic grant opportunities
- Identify and assess alignment and strategic fit of consortia-based funding programs and support partnership development for application
- Facilitate or contribute to development of OpenEarth material for funding applications and pitches aligning decks and text within specific application target audiences as well as cultural and thematic parameters
- Draft, review, negotiate and sign grant agreements
- Track and update all grants and donations, inform teams of the grant reporting requirements and manage communications between OEF Teams and Grantors, review and follow up on payments and invoicing
- Follow-up on submission of grants and impact reports
Communications and Marketing Support
- Provide strategic input and leadership on OEF external marketing and communications strategy and content particularly where aligned with community events, initiatives and engagements and/or fundraising efforts or applications.
- Support OEF brand and communications standards for various channels (print, web, and social media, etc.) ensuring consistent messaging and adherence to branding guidelines
- Cultivate and manage relationships with members of the media, international organizations, universities, NGOs, funding organizations, and event forums to position OEF as subject matter experts for article publication and speaking engagements
- Provide strategic oversight and direct content input for website, social media, newsletter and other materials where appropriate
- Serve as point of contact for external community stakeholders and media
- Cultivate and co-manage relationships with members of the media and promote OEF initiatives to new audiences and partners aligned with strategic priorities and initiatives
- Actively promote OEF initiatives and vision to new audiences across media platforms (social media, television news, academic journals, online magazines, etc.) strategically aligned with OEF priorities and initiatives
- Manage OEF CRM system
- Ownership of the OpenEarth website (openearth.org) and CMS (webflow), coordinate with team members for content, updates and strategy
- Manage digital marketing for website SEO, traffic analytics and proposing adjustments for maximizing an effective online experience
- Bachelor's degree or advanced education relevant to this position
- Compelling writing and speaking skills
- Prior fundraising experience
- Grant writing experience
- Marketing experience
Experience & Knowledge:
- Minimum of two years' experience in fundraising, development, community relations, marketing and/or communications.
- Project management experience
- Experience developing and implementing fund development strategies in a nonprofit environment.
- Effective communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Collaborative and team focused
- Motivational skills
- Problem solving and decision making skills
Compensation and benefits:This position is full-time with compensation commensurate with experience.We are open to contractors and would consider part-time collaborators if they can demonstrate that they are the right fit. Open Earth offers a health insurance plan, unlimited PTO plan that includes: paid holidays and paid sick leave to all employeesYou will work remotely within a dynamic and international environment You will join us in our annual team retreat to celebrate our achievementsLocation: The position is remote and can be performed from outside the U.S, however we value time zones closer to Pacific Time. Please apply by submitting your resume AND a cover letter, it is your opportunity to highlight why you feel you would be a great addition to the team. We look forward to hearing from you! OEF is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We support diversity, equity and inclusion in teams, and believe people should align their work with their purpose. Join us if you love Earth.
- Passion for social impact and climate change
- Strong work ethic with high degree of energy for flexible hours in coordination with international team
- Knowledge of new technology uses and operational systems through personal or professional experience
- Established relationships with California stakeholders, climate advocates and/or technology enthusiasts preferred