Who are we?
Sealed is a climate tech company on a mission to stop home energy waste and electrify all homes.
Sealed designs, manages, and finances home weatherization and electrification projects, making it easy and affordable for people to be more comfortable while using less energy. Our proven holistic approach can reduce energy use by 50% and takes a home completely off of fossil fuels with upgrades like high-performance insulation, air sealing, and heat pump HVAC. Our expert team designs the right solution, matches top-rated local contractors, and manages the project start to finish. Sealed covers the upfront costs, and we’re accountable to impact: if we don’t cut energy waste, we don’t get paid.
Sealed, one of Fast Company’s top ten most innovative energy companies of 2021, is venture backed and based in New York City. Learn more at sealed.com.
What will you do?
Reporting to the VP of Finance, the Director will be responsible for overseeing and guiding the daily financial activities of the company, including billing, financial operations (AP, payroll, etc.), project funding, accounting, reporting (internally and externally to investors and lenders), budgeting, and variance analysis. The role will be a combination of coaching and hands-on execution.
With respect to coaching, you will manage the function leads responsible for executing billing, financial operations, project funding, and accounting activities. In terms of hands-on execution, you will be directly responsible for reporting, budgeting and variance analysis functions. You will also be responsible for managing the implementation of tools and processes to support scaling the aforementioned functions.
Specifically, you will:
- Lead and develop a small but mighty team of high-potential finance professionals (initially 3-5 direct reports and 2-4 indirect reports) executing daily finance functions at Sealed including billing, financial operations, project funding and accounting
Own the reporting, budgeting, and variance analysis functions for Sealed and related special purposes entities, actively engaging and managing relevant stakeholders as needed
- Stand up new processes, improve those processes, train team members to execute, then delegate day-to-day responsibility and provide ongoing review and support as needed
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a tech-savvy, analytical, and collaborative problem-solver who has experience overseeing and guiding the daily financial activities of a venture-backed company and a finance team as it scales from approximately $10M to $100M in annual revenue. You also develop meaningful, lasting, whole-person and high-care relationships at work, seek and give candid feedback, and know when to provide your direct reports with a little guidance, but mostly space and time to figure something out themselves, and when to roll up your sleeves and dive into the problem alongside them.
What success looks like
- Billing - customer performance is calculated accurately, bills are issue in a timely manner and in accordance with contract terms, and related processes become increasingly efficiency, requiring less and less time per bill sent
- Financial Operations - vendors and employees are paid in a timely manner and in accordance with contract terms
- Project Funding - projects are funded on a consistent cadence and lender reporting requirements are completed in a timely manner and in accordance with the terms of the loan agreements
- Accounting - books are closed in a timely manner each month based on best estimate applied on a consistent basis and in accordance with GAAP rules
- Reporting - relevant financial reports inclusive of key operating and financial metrics are generated and provided to internal and external parties, including lenders and equity investors, in a timely manner consistent with contractual obligations
- Budgeting and Variance Analysis - team leads understand financial performance, including variance from budget, and finance serves as a thought partner to these team leads, assisting them with respect to thinking through how to pursue changing objectives throughout the year in a budget-neutral fashion
- All direct and indirect reports on the Finance Team are engaged and feel supported as important members of the team
- Strong desire to work in climate tech
- 7+ years of progressive experience in finance, including at least 2+ years experience on a finance team of a high-growth, early and/or mid-stage organization scaling from approximately $10M to $100M in annual revenue
- 3+ years of people management experience
- 2+ year hands-on experience using project management platforms like Asana and business intelligence systems like Tableau to organize, track, and manage work
- Demonstrated ability to influence business decisions through logical reasoning and the effective presentation of recommendations and alternatives
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to communicate and influence effectively across functions and levels of management
- Solid understanding of key accounting concepts and standards
- You want to work in a fast-paced environment and be responsible for keeping the proverbial financial trains running as the company constantly evolves around you
Nice to Haves
- Proven ability to quickly learn and become an expert in new software tools
- Experience using a modern fintech stack that supports automated financial reporting and rolling forecasts (e.g. Adaptive, Anaplan, Planful, Vena, Cube etc.)
- Experience in or exposure to multi-entity companies with one or more special purpose entities used for project financing and/or lending purposes or companies that directly provide financing to and/or facilitate procurement of financing for customers
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary
- Flexible PTO
- Stock options
- Health benefits, including some focused on mental health
- 401(k) plan
- Paid family leave
- Paid medical leave
- Work from home stipend
- Learning & development stipend
- Flexible work environment: work remotely from anywhere within the US or from our headquarters office in NYC