We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the Role
We are looking for a hands-on Staff Vehicle Engineer to drive issue resolution on new vehicle platform(s) to resolve hardware, software, electrical, and mechanical issues. We work with technicians, suppliers, GM, and other Cruise disciplines to mature the Origin into a product that our customers will love! This role will involve driving new large cross functional initiatives, mentoring team members, and developing a culture of continuous improvement and growth within the team. Technical focus areas include issue triage and resolution for features specific to motion controls, fault detection and response, power, thermal management, HVAC, lighting and issues specific to AV systems involving network, sensors, AV stack, and Ethernet switches.
What you’ll be doing:
- Develop solutions to complex integration issues involving multiple components
- Identifying new areas of inquiry and strategies that have a major impact on Cruise
- Develop processes and training for efficient and effective issue resolution
- Drive improvements upstream for issues found on the vehicle by working with Systems Engineering teams to improve requirements and Test teams expand HIL test coverage
- Develop metrics for issue resolution and platform stability
- Leverage system requirements, architecture diagrams, specifications, wiring diagrams, and schematics to deep dive and root cause issues
- Mentor and guide a team to foster new ideas to develop new tools to simulate or replay data to validate a feature
- Focus on developing and nurturing a pipeline for technical talent
- Work with various audiences independently and present impactful initiatives to senior level executives and key external customers
- Drive a culture of safety at all times
What you must have:
- 8+ years of experience in integration and validation of complex systems or related fields.
- Experience mentoring junior engineers on root cause analysis techniques, engineering best practices, and engineering development processes.
- Familiarity with aligning and implementing new initiatives with multi-functional teams, then communicating that progress with Senior Leadership.
- Hands-on knowledge debugging complex systems that involve multiple ECUs with interfaces to various vehicle subsystems.
- Ability to identify new challenges and develop new programs to drive impact across Cruise.
- Prior with long term goal setting and direction to strategically align Cruise's business needs.
- Experience debugging electrical issues using multimeters, oscilloscopes, current clamps, spectrum analyzers, or other electrical diagnostic tools.
- Experience debugging embedded controller integration issues using CAN, LIN, A2B, Ethernet, UART, I2C bus analysis tools.
- Fluency in Python or similar scripting language, familiarity with git/version management tools, SW debugging tools.
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt easily to change.
- Passion for autonomous and sustainable transportation technologies!
- Solid understanding of schematic design and PCB layout
- Experience with robotics middleware and communication such as ROS and/or DDS
- Experience working with Linux networking, VLANs, and high-precision-time synchronization protocols
Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex - a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) - a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
At Cruise, we’re tasked with leading in the communities we serve — and doing our part to help keep our communities and our teams safe. Our #StaySafe culture transcends and informs all we do, and because of this, as of October 31, 2021 Cruise will be mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all US-based Cruisers who need or want to access any of our US Cruise facilities and engage in any business travel — including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
If you are unable to get a vaccine due to a medical condition, disability, or a strongly-held religious belief, Cruise will consider requests for an accommodation.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.