Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
ARC will be the first machine to produce electricity from fusion energy, serving as the cornerstone to a new industry. The ARC vacuum vessel and internal components, critical to effective confinement of the fusion plasma, will be subject to extreme stresses from electromagnetic and thermal loads. The plasma-facing internal components will need to be made out of tungsten-based alloys to handle the extreme heat fluxes while the vacuum vessel will need to be high-strength alloys to handle the large loads. New additive manufacturing techniques may be opening up the design space to exciting new possibilities for these systems. The Senior Mechanical Structural Engineer will be responsible for developing and analyzing the early stage conceptual design for the ARC vacuum vessel and internal components. They will work closely with the SPARC Design Team on transferring analysis tools, techniques, and know-how to the ARC design. They will also work closely with the ARC R&D team to identify critical R&D needs as well as opportunities to close the ARC design.
This team member will:
- Own the early-stage, conceptual mechanical design of the ARC vacuum vessel and internal components, including plasma facing components, RF heating antennas, and diagnostics in conjunction with scientists
- Generate and evaluate conceptual designs using multiphysics FEA tools
- Learn best-practices from the SPARC Design Team, transferring tools, analysis techniques, and know-how to the ARC design
- Work with the ARC R&D team to identify and plan critical R&D needed to inform the ARC vacuum vessel and internal component design
- Collaborate closely with others on the ARC Design Team, making plant-wide trade-offs to optimize the overall design
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- At least 7+ years of industry experience
- Thermomechanical design and analysis of large (multi-meter) metal structures
- Conceptual design creativity and comfort proceeding with uncertainty
- CAD design, NX preferred
- Mechanical finite element analysis (FEM), ANSYS preferred
- Additive manufacturing of large metal structures, preferred
- An ability to clearly express and critique ideas
- An emphasis on elegance and simplicity over complexity
- The ability to thrive in fast-paced, dynamic environments
- A drive toward commercially viable solutions
- Values that align with our company’s values of integrity, execution, impact, and self-critique
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Greater than 7 years of industry experience
- Dynamic electromagnetic loading on structures
- Analysis of fluid-structure interactions at large-scale
- Ability to perform activities such sitting for extended periods of time
- Willingness to infrequently travel
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.