Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow? Role Description
We are looking for an enthusiastic Staff Engineer to design and build a wide array of electrochemical models to aid in the development of the core anode electrode technology in Form Energy’s long-duration energy storage system. You will drive anode optimization through multi-physics modeling studies on various design options, in collaboration with the Anode Design & Engineering Team. Through understanding of the real life battery design and operations, you will select the right governing mechanisms and boundary conditions of the model. You will also work closely with battery and test engineers to validate the design and execution of both their experiments and your models.. In addition, you will contribute to improving the company's battery modeling platform through collaborations with modeling engineers in different teams of the company. This is an opportunity to have a direct and daily impact in an exciting energy technology startup.
What You'll Do:
- Develop and optimize multiphysics electrochemical models to answer anode electrode design questions and to drive design decisions
- Communicate model results clearly to the broader Anode Development team to drive the decision-making process
- Explain to non-experts the assumptions and limitations in a model, and what those signify for the results
- Work with an interdisciplinary team to validate models against experimental results and implement optimized designs in new product prototypes
- Learn new modeling and analytics tools as necessary
- Engage with stakeholders to keep models connected to real-world behavior and product-level decision-making
- Engage with model engineers at different functions of product and component designs, share learnings and maintain common knowledge platform
- Aid in defining Form Energy’s scale-up strategy for computational work
What You'll Bring:
- PhD in Mechanical engineering, Electrochemistry, Material Science, Chemical Engineering, or a related field
- 5+ years experience in modeling a wide array of electrochemical systems, such as electrochemical reactions, mass transport, mechanical stress and fracture, heat transfer, chemical reaction, or sintering for battery, fuel cell, electrodeposition, or electrolyzer electrodes.
- Practical experience modeling with commercial FEA/FVM software packages, such as COMSOL, Abaqus, MOOSE, or ANSYS/Fluent
- Thorough understanding of the physical phenomena governing electrochemical models and ability to reason through analyses in addition to working with FEA
- Strong communication skills within a group of peers and broader organization including with remote team members
- Experience in developing models from scratch
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.