Computer Vision Engineer / Data Scientist (contractor, remote)
ISeeChange is a data and engagement company dedicated to helping cities combat climate change. Our AI-enabled platform cross-references community-reported events with real-time data, enabling sustainable, equitable and efficient infrastructure and public works projects in municipalities across North America. Cities, engineers, utilities, and researchers use our software as a service to site, design, build, and monitor climate solutions that work best for communities.
ISeeChange is developing scalable data processing pipelines powered by resident-generated information, machine learning, and client needs. You will:
- Create a long-term backend strategy based on company priorities and projects, and maintain a high-level understanding of all technologies used, and systems supported by the team.
- Design, build and maintain APIs, services and systems across our platform
- Improve engineering standards, tooling and processes
- Make sure our core infrastructure and technology can grow, change and scale painlessly
- Be available for on-call support for server outages
- Manage, update, and document our database, APIs and cloud infrastructure
- Develop and maintain security access protocols on back-end systems
- Assisting the Data Science team to envision integration and communication from the backend database to a new data server for modelling and predictive analytics.
- Measure performance, keeping a close pulse on client stakeholders, anticipating bottlenecks, making tradeoffs, and taking acceptable risks.
- Ensure the team’s technical and architectural decisions are consistent with company strategy and goals.
- Design and develop new features, algorithms, data processing operations, benchmarks and tests in the context of both client services and our user community.
- Provide high-quality code reviews that help colleagues learn and improve.
- Research new technologies, make thoughtful recommendations, and clearly communicate trade-offs of adoption.
- Occasionally mentor and supervise backend contractors if needed to meet feature development deadlines
- Proficiency in NodeJS (Express) and TypeScript
- Proficiency working with & maintaining PostgreSQL databases
- Experience designing and building REST APIs
- Experience with AWS and Kubernetes
- Firm grasp of test-driven development and test automation
- Excellent communication, listening, and organization skills to work with teammates across disciplines and time zones.
- Timeliness in meetings and active listening in collaborative sessions (which may be for other teammates’ areas or business development)
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Attention to detail and strong execution skills (you meet deadlines and help others meet theirs)
What We Are Looking For:
- Technical experience at a tech company with a strong aptitude and understanding of how to break processes down into technical objects to solve problems.
- Familiarity with several cloud technologies and service-based architectures
- Excellent communication, listening, and organization skills to solve complex problems and work with teammates across disciplines, as well as across time-zones
- Ability to work in a new market in a fast-growing industry
- An entrepreneurial mindset. Equal comfort with both customer and consumer-focused innovation and SaaS.
- Experience with developing and following through on metrics and goals
- Expertise walking the tight balance between detail-oriented and big-picture thinking – always keeping the future and road map in mind when working on smaller backend and database tasks.
- A thirst to adapt and learn to keep innovating on cutting-edge features
- A hunger for making a difference on climate change
We’d be super pumped if you also have:
- Experience or familiarity with Python
- Experience working with CI/CD tools and setting up continuous integration pipelines
- A solid understanding of GIS concepts, experience with PostGIS, and remote sensing
- An interest and experience in security concepts / best practices
- Experience working with climate, environmental, or weather-related modelling products
- Experience with data science and machine learning applications
- Experience in managing development of SaaS, B2B or B2G tool.
How to apply:
Apply here with a statement of interest, resume and an optional link to examples of your work or website.