Manufacturer of lithium batteries designed to accelerate the commercialization of solid-state batteries. The company engages in the manufacturing of electric ...View Company Profile
QuantumScape is on a mission to transform energy storage with solid-state lithium-metal battery technology. The company’s next-generation batteries are designed to enable longer range, faster charging and enhanced safety in electric vehicles to support the transition away from legacy energy sources toward a lower carbon future.Do you want to make a major contribution to this part of the energy economy? Join us on our mission as we transform energy storage to enable a more sustainable future. We are looking to add an SEM / FIB Engineer - Member Technical Staff (MTS) to our
R&D Physical Characterization team. The ideal candidate has a passion for microscopy and seeks to develop new imaging, preparation, and data processing techniques.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare samples for FIB/SEM, XCT, optical microscopy, and ion mill
- Optimize sample prep procedures and conditions
- Identify regions of interest based upon instructions
- Run maintenance, calibration, and performance spec verification on tools
- Work with tool vendors to increase equipment uptime by planning preventive maintenance activities
- Deliver high-quality/volume analysis of samples while meeting sampling goals with minimal errors
- Coordinate work with internal customers to ensure high quality analytical data while balancing lab sample throughput
- Motivated by new challenges and embraces learning new techniques
- Demonstrate flexibility and resourcefulness allowing smooth adaptation to a constantly evolving environment and work priorities
- Comfortable working with computer quality systems and databases
- Possesses a can-do spirit and is a collaborative teammate and clear communicator
- Organized, meticulous, and have clear written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work into evenings, weekends and flexibility to cover shift gaps on short notice
- B.S. degree in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or related field plus minimum 3 years experience with analytical tools such as FIB/SEM and sample preparation; 1 yr with advanced degree
- Safely handle chemicals and dispose of hazardous waste
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Advanced degree in Materials Science, Engineering or related field or equivalent experience
- Experience with semiconductor FA techniques such as but not limited to: XIVA, TIVA, OBRICH, EBIC, EMMI, etc.
- Proficiency in at least one type of programming language (e.g., Python, R, JMP, MATLAB, etc.)
- Familiar operating a plasma FIB system
- Experience working with a Li-ion battery or analytical test lab
- Exposure to tool qualification methods and GR&R
- Experience preparing samples in an inert environment, such as glovebox operations, sample preparation (e.g. electrode depositions)
- Previous TEM lamellae prep experience
- Work is performed in a dry room, fume hood, lab area, or glovebox requiring the use of fine motor skills
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time
- Reaching and twisting motions with hands
- Lifting up to 25 lbs.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.