Manufacturer of lithium batteries designed to accelerate the commercialization of solid-state batteries. The company engages in the manufacturing of electric ...View Company Profile
QuantumScape is on a mission to transform energy storage with solid-state lithium-metal battery technology. The company’s next-generation batteries are designed to enable longer range, faster charging and enhanced safety in electric vehicles to support the transition away from legacy energy sources toward a lower carbon future.
Do you want to make a major contribution to this part of the energy economy? Join us on our mission as we transform energy storage to enable a more sustainable future. QuantumScape is looking to add an Associate Optical Electron and X-ray Microscopy Support Engineer - AMTS to our
R&D Physical Characterization team. We are seeking a motivated, diligent, and meticulous R&D Engineer to join our growing team to support the microscopy team. This position will focus on hands-on microscope operation, tool calibration, and method development to improve efficiency and data quality from a fleet of optical, X-ray, and electron microscopes. Our ideal team member is a skilled microscopist, who is meticulous and can work optimally both in teams and independently, and is capable of driving projects to completion under ambitious deadlines.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintenance and support of the fleet of optical microscopes.
- Maintaining an accurate record of tool issues, calibration schedules, and training records for users on these tools.
- The operation and throughput of X-ray microscopes.
- Maintenance, troubleshooting, sample prep, and co-ordination of broad ion beam mills for timely sample preparation.
- Operate and coordinate daily utilization and queue of microscopes to ensure high up time for timely and high-volume throughput goals
- Collaborate with requesters to ensure the feasibility of requests and negotiate expected outcomes
- Development and updating SOPs for some of the instruments and their maintenance if required.
- Keeping consumables well supplied, and arrange for tool service and maintenance when issues occur
- Motivated by new challenges and embraces learning new techniques and refining existing techniques
- Demonstrate flexibility and resourcefulness allowing smooth adaptation to a constantly evolving environment and work priorities
- Autonomous, personable, positive and a good teammate
- Prioritize your time effectively and adjust your schedule to meet critical deadlines
- Comfortable working with computer quality systems and databases
- Possesses a can-do spirit and is a collaborative teammate and clear communicator
- Organized, meticulous, and have clear written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work into evenings, weekends and flexibility to cover shift gaps on short notice
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related fields
- Minimum of 1 year of academic or industrial lab experience
- Experience working in an environment requiring chemical handling and sample preparations
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience in analytical tools and techniques (Microscopy: electron, optical, X-Ray, broad ion mill, polishing, cross sectioning)
- Experience with DOE, SPC, and high-throughput inspection
- Experience preparing samples in an inert environment, such as glovebox operations, sample preparation (e.g. electrode depositions)
- Work is performed in a dry room, fume hood, lab area, or glovebox requiring the use of fine motor skills
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time
- Reaching and twisting motions with hands
- Lifting up to 15 lbs.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.