kWh Analytics is a leading provider of Climate Insurance for zero carbon assets. Utilizing their proprietary database of over 300,000 operating renewable energy assets, kWh Analytics uses real-world project performance data and decades of expertise to underwrite unique risk transfer products on behalf of insurance partners. kWh Analytics has recently been recognized on FinTech Global’s ESGFinTech100 list for their data and climate insurance innovations.
The Solar Revenue Put production insurance protects against downside risk and unlocks preferred financing terms, and the Renewable Energy Property Product offers comprehensive coverage against physical loss. These offerings, which have insured over $4 billion of assets to date, aim to further kWh Analytics’ mission to provide best-in-class Insurance for our Climate.Who we are looking forWe are looking for a mission-driven Director of Risk to manage our carrier relationships, communication of risk in the context of new deals or products, and developing our risk capital strategy for the Solar Revenue Put and other specialty products. You’ll be a trusted partner to the leadership team, and lead the specialty products program management function. Managing our insurance carrier partner relationships and ensuring we deliver best-in-class services is critical to the growth of the platform. During onboarding, you’ll develop a deep understanding of our products and customers. kWh Analytics sits at the intersection of insurance, renewable energy, finance, and technology, so ideally you are either familiar with or eager to learn about these sectors. With the guidance of the senior leadership, you’ll develop a cohesive plan, setting and measuring goals to have maximum impact.kWh Analytics is a fast-growing company and our Director of Risk will be instrumental in building systems to keep things running smoothly as we scale. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is comfortable with organizational change and can inspire the team throughout this growth phase and beyond.
What you can look forward to
- Working closely with the Solar Revenue Put (SRP) business development team in owning the carrier management function, including facilitation of risk placement by serving as a liaison between technical underwriting (data science) and carrier partners, reporting and portfolio management, and representing kWh Analytics as a best-in-class MGA partner
- Managing the feedback loop between the insurer risk appetite and business development (risk origination) to ensure we are originating risk to match appetite while expanding appetite to match risks
- Helping build a world-class carrier management function that can effectively tell our story to clients, brokers, carriers, and other stakeholders
- Collaborating with our VP of Product on identifying new specialty product opportunities and placing those risks with capital partners, or identifying risks for which carriers have appetite and designing appropriate products that can be sold in the market
- Monitoring the Specialty Products book of business and communicating the performance of the book and the evolution of our underwriting model on an ongoing basis to insurance carriers
- Working closely with analytics and data science teams on harnessing data to make informed decisions and translating our data science-driven underwriting approach into insights that help insurers get comfortable with our overall risk approach
- Managing existing MGA relationships and negotiating MGA agreements with additional carriers as the business grows
- Creating processes for managing and administering policy documents, solutions for executing on transactions in international markets through fronting arrangements, and structuring quota share policies to allocate risk to multiple carriers
What you likely need to do the job well
- 8+ years of relevant experience in insurance or energy.
- You have experience in deal execution and ideally in transacting on specialty insurance products.
- You are a builder. You challenge the status quo. You enjoy identifying solutions to challenges and are always seeking ways to improve systems and processes.
- You are flexible and resourceful. You deliver results and can quickly pivot when the organization’s needs change.
- You have a proven track record of bringing people together around getting them to rally around a shared vision and strategy.
- You possess outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- You think ahead, anticipate potential pitfalls, and have a good sense of what will ultimately help the business grow.
- You are skilled at project management, building relationships and managing deal execution.
Nice to have
- Masters Degree or other relevant advanced degrees preferred
- Experience in energy, climate, or sustainability
Location: Remote (US)Learn more about what we do and why it matters: https://www.kwhanalytics.com/company-overview
kWh Analytics is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to maintaining an inclusive environment for all employees.