About Altus Thermal
Altus Thermal is a Boston-based startup developing a smart, high efficiency hardware product that will reduce residential emissions and operating costs, provide greater comfort, and increase benefits to the electrical grid. Founded by clean energy and consumer hardware veterans, the company has received support from private investors, Massachusetts Clean Energy Center, and the Third Derivate accelerator. If you want to be an early part of a growing energy and climate tech company, keep reading. Altus is based at Greentown Labs HQ in Somerville, MA.
The Role, At-a-Glance
Altus is seeking a Boston-area Principal Mechanical Engineer to take a leading role in the day-to-day hardware development of Altus’ product from its current status – field prototype – through launch. The role will blend onsite and remote work with intermittent travel to engineering consultants, vendors, and pilot locations. Travel will be predominantly within the U.S.
What Will I Do?
As a core part of the Altus Engineering team, you will:
- Work closely with the founders, other team members, and consultants to manage the day-to-day hardware development to enable a rapid, successful product launch - this includes developing and optimizing hardware design at all levels of complexity, from component to subsystem to fully integrated architecture
- Leverage engineering best practices to define technical targets, test protocols, and success criteria
- Help drive forward additional launch activities like quality testing, field tests, manufacturing preparation, product certification, and supply chain management
- Get your hands dirty - everything from CAD design to building simple breadboard prototypes to testing fully developed pilot units to build a high level of confidence for a successful launch
- Act as a mentor within a collaborative, cross-functional team
- Conduct testing, both through simulation and prototyping - then interpret the results to make informed design iterations so we can build and test some more until it’s right
What Qualifications Do I Need?
We’re looking for someone with a proven track record in hardware design, including:
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering or a similar technical field with at least seven years of experience in hardware design and a proven track record in taking products from concept to successful launch
- A strong background in thermal sciences and/or heat pump design
- Extra credit if you have experience in any of the following: consumer products, manufacturing, IOT products, electronics and software controls, and/or experience with CFD and FEA
- Ability to build and design complex assemblies in CAD, preferably Solidworks
- Strong hands-on skills, including the ability to build and test everything from quick-and-dirty prototypes all the way to more intricate prototypes with 3D printing, machined parts, etc
- Strong analytical skills - the ability to understand the problem-to-be-solved on a deep level and interpret results on more than just a superficial level
- General knowledge of manufacturing best practices including design for manufacturing, part selection, and BOM creation
- High comfort level within a fast-paced environment - you’ll be helping to build from the ground up so it’s important to be flexible and capable of adapting to moving targets
- Self-starting attitude - while Altus is a highly collaborative team environment, we’re looking for candidates who can take take a general direction then run with it and make it their own
Want to Learn More?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume, portfolio, and brief thoughts on:
- Why are you interested in joining a clean tech company/how does it fit with your goals?
- When the time comes for reference calls, what will your colleagues say about you?
- What’s your proudest professional achievement? Why?