Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!About the roleReversing climate change has its share of incredibly difficult problems, and we need the brightest and most creative hardware engineers to help us solve them. Come join Charm’s pyrolysis R&D team, where you will be tasked with solving problems across thermal, fluids and structural design for our pyrolyzers - the machines that produce bio-oil and therefore drive our carbon removal supply!Charm’s pyrolyzers make bio-oil but that is not all! One of the other byproducts is biochar, and it can be a value-added product that can be used for heat & energy for the process, but also for replenishing field nutrients and soil carbon. We are looking for a Biochar Team lead to help us navigate the ins and outs of designing for, working with and handling the biochar that comes out of our reactors. If you have deep experience in the production of biochar, or have experience with material handling, solids separation, and heat exchange, this role is for you.We expect this role to build out the biochar team at Charm, so we are looking for someone with solid skills in hiring, giving feedback, managing teams, and setting direction. Best of all, your designs will directly impact our ability to scale our pyrolyzers and put more oil, and therefore more carbon(!) underground.
- Direct the technological path forward of char-related systems, according to pyrolyzer system goals and requirements. This will include leading the design of a system that removes char from the pyrolyzer process stream and extracts it from the system in a safe state.
- Develop and implement safe biochar storage practices, directing the design of engineering solutions as necessary.
- Lead a team of Mechanical Engineers, who will report to you. You will help guide their career growth and learning by managing their projects, providing them with constructive feedback, and allocating the resources they need to succeed.
In this role, you will bring:
- Experience building and leading teams of engineers
- Experience with the production of biochar through pyrolysis or torrefaction
- An understanding of solids handling equipment
- A familiarity with standard safety best practices, especially around biochar
- Mentorship and guidance for more junior engineers
These skills are a bonus, but not essential:
- You have done CAD design in Solidworks or similar software, and managed complex assemblies
- Organ playing experience, extra bonus if you have experience playing with an ensemble or orchestra
This role is located at our San Francisco, CA Minifactory and is not open for remote work. The salary range is $142k-179k per year, plus benefits described below.What We Offer
· Stock options· Medical and dental insurance· Traditional and Roth 401k· Paid parental leave managed through Cocoon- A yearly professional development stipend· Healthy snacks and lunches· A sweet workplace (both SF Minifactory and CO Miniforge!) with lots of space inside and out· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas. COVID-19
The nature of our work requires the vast majority of our team to be in-person full time. As the COVID-19 pandemic has evolved, we've continuously adapted our safety policy to keep our team safe and productive. Our current safety policy requires the attestation of COVID-19 vaccination to work at Charm. Additionally, we ask that all of our employees and visitors stay home and rest if they have any cold/flu/covid/sickness symptoms.Our Commitment
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.