At Wisk, we're transforming the future of urban mobility through safe, all-electric, autonomous flight. We are a passionate team working together toward a sustainable future, solving high-impact problems that have never been solved before. By delivering everyday flight for everyone, we're making it possible to spend less time getting there and more time being there. If you want to be part of shaping the future of mobility, then read on!
We are seeking a Composites Design Engineer to join our team developing our next generation electric-powered aircraft. You will work closely with other team members, including structural analysis, manufacturing, and test engineers, to develop and validate designs for the airframe and other composite components. You will be responsible for ensuring that the designs meet structural, manufacturing producibility, assembly, cost, and other requirements.
Specific tasks you will perform include: conceptual design and trade studies to select the materials, structural configuration, and manufacturing method for the components; detailed design, including creation of CAD models and drawings, laminate definition, ply draping simulation, and ply shape definition; DFMEA and PFMEA studies; assisting with manufacturing and quality-related activities such as producibility studies, non-destructive and dimensional inspection methods development, and first article inspections.
Within 1 month you will:
- Get to know the team
- Shadow analysis engineers, manufacturing engineers, technicians, and other designers to become familiar with the aircraft
- Become fluent in our CAD and PLM tools
Within 3 months you will:
- Continue learning about the aircraft and subsystem assemblies
- Take ownership of new design projects
- Work with technicians and manufacturing engineers to develop manufacturing processes, tooling, procedures, quality control points, inspection plans, etc.
Within 6 months you will:
- Reach a high level of familiarity with the aircraft and subassemblies like wings, fuselage, empennage, and the equipment carried within
- Troubleshoot issues discovered during testing and production of hardware
- Efficiently incorporate design changes into manufacturing plans and procedures
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Structural Engineering
- 2+ years of experience designing composite components for high performance applications
- Good understanding of composites engineering fundamentals (mechanics of materials, classical lamination theory, material property characterization, design best practices, analysis methods, manufacturing processes)
- Experience using CAD software such as NX (preferred), Fibersim (preferred), Solidworks, CATIA, or similar
- Familiarity with drafting standards, including GD&T, with experience creating engineering drawings for composite components
- Experience working with other engineers to improve the manufacturability of a product (Design for Manufacturing) while controlling cost and weight
- Master’s degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Structural Engineering
- Airframe conceptual and detailed design experience
- Aircraft certification experience (Title 14 CFR Part 23, 25, 27, or 29)
- Mold, layup, or assembly tool design experience
- Hands-on composites manufacturing experience
- Experience supporting composites production manufacturing, including the disposition of hardware non-conformances
- Experience with structural testing of composite components or assemblies
- Familiar with commercial FEA software such as NASTRAN, Abaqus, ANSYS, or similar
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), flexible time off, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, patent bonus program, happy hours and many more.
In order to protect the health and safety of our employees in the workplace, as a condition of employment, we require that employees are fully-vaccinated with an FDA-authorized vaccination against COVID-19 as permitted by law. Exceptions/accommodations are considered for employees with disabilities or sincerely-held religious beliefs, practices, or observances that prevent them from being vaccinated against COVID-19.
Wisk Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wisk Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wisk Aero is an E-Verify employer.