Vice President, Strategy and Development
About the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES): C2ES is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization working to forge ambitious and practical solutions to climate change. Our mission is to secure and safe and stable climate by accelerating the transition to a thriving, just and resilient low-carbon economy. We are widely recognized as an influential and pragmatic voice on climate issues, a trusted convener, and a credible source of expertise and analysis. We work closely with international climate negotiators, federal, state, and local policymakers, executives of Fortune 500 businesses, and a wide range of other stakeholders to advance strong policy and action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, promote clean energy, and strengthen resilience to climate impacts. We believe ambitious and effective climate policy is essential to a prosperous, sustainable, and equitable economy.
Position Summary: The Vice President, Strategy and Development, will play a lead role in guiding the strategic and operational growth and effectiveness of C2ES while helping to navigate uncertainty and risk. The selected candidate will serve as an advisor and collaborator to the President on impact, innovation, strategy, and implementation; oversee the creation and execution of a strategy for fundraising and donor cultivation; build and manage a world-class development team to grow along with the organization; and lead on Board development and engagement. The Vice President will report directly to the President and will be a member of the senior leadership team.
Position Status: - NEW
Ideation and innovation
- Work with the President to regularly assess and refine organizational strategy, development, and impact, as well as plans for growth.
- Work with the President, CFO, and program leads to refine program strategies, explore and create new programmatic opportunities, and identify potential funding sources.
- With the leadership team, collaboratively develop and test ideas that can inspire support and engagement from donors, strategic advisors, partners, and influencers.
- Work with the President to develop a strategy to grow the organization's donor base and fundraising success, with an initial focus on major individual donors and family offices.
- Attract and manage a top-notch development team to execute and expand the development strategy, including building a strong donor pipeline and cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors on an ongoing basis;
- Manage a portfolio of key donor relationships; over time, the expectation would be that the VP would hand off some or most portfolio management to the development team as it grows, although the VP (along with the President) would continue to own organizationally critical donor relationships;
- Manage other aspects of fundraising and development, including cultivation and stewardship of other donors including philanthropic foundations, corporate foundations, and governments;
- Work with CFO and program VPs to oversee the preparation and submission of compelling concept notes and funding proposals that can inspire significant support for C2ES's work.
- Work with the President to develop and implement a vision to grow and strengthen the C2ES Board in service of the organization's reach, impact, and reputation;
- Work with President and key members of the Board to identify and cultivate a strong pipeline of Board candidates;
- Oversee Board management, including Board committee responsibilities and structure; content and cadence of Board meeting; and relationships and engagement with the Board as a whole as well as individual Board members.
- Create strategies for cultivating, soliciting and stewarding potential strategic advisors, strategic partners and influencers;
- Work with the President and VP for Communications to identify opportunities for strategic communications that further increase brand awareness and enhance the organization's relevance and profile among key constituencies.
- Creative, bold, strategic thinker;
- Proven track record of success in major gifts fundraising and donor cultivation;
- Deep knowledge of climate philanthropists and other relevant constituencies;
- Sterling network of high-net-worth individuals, potential strategic advisors and partners, and influencers;
- Extensive experience managing and working with non-profit Boards of Directors;
- Experience managing a high-performing team;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Humility, collegiality, a sense of humor, and a deep spirit of collaboration;
- Passion for the organization's mission;
- Bachelors degree plus 15+ years of relevant experience.
Employment Status: Full time, benefits-eligible; exempt from overtime.
Reporting to: President
Travel, Time & Location Requirements: May be located in Arlington, VA, or remote; if remote, physical presence in the main office is expected at least 5 days per quarter, plus more as needed to build and manage a team. Significant travel expected for fundraising, mostly within the United States.
- Health Insurance. C2ES covers 75% of the health insurance premiums.
- Dental Insurance. C2ES covers 100% of the total cost dental plan.
- Vision Insurance: Employee covers the total cost of this plan.
- Group Life insurance and Voluntary Life insurance.
- Leave Time: New employees start with 3 weeks' vacation per year.
- Sick time: up to 10 days per year.
- Personal Leave: Up to Two personal leave days.
- FMLA Leave: Case by case is evaluated by the Supervisor and HR.
- Holidays: C2ES observes 12 holidays during the year. Additionally, the organization closes the last week of year.
- Flexible environment.