Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The Physics Operations team at SPARC is responsible for executing the plasma scenarios needed to commission systems, demonstrate net energy plasmas and retire risk in the design of ARC. This team will play a central role in operating SPARC and each member of the team will contribute a unique skill set. As SPARC progresses through the design phase, a Physics Operator will develop and employ physics models to inform the design choices and ensure SPARC completes its mission. As SPARC approaches operation, each Physics Operator will be assisting in plasma scenario planning and qualification. A Physics Operator is a critical role within the SPARC Control Room, piloting the tokamak to produce the world’s first net energy plasmas safely, efficiently and robustly.
The position is flexible with remote, hybrid or onsite work in Devens, MA until the end of 2023, then transitions to an onsite position in Devens, MA in 2024.
Primary responsibilities will Include but are not limited to:
- Use simulation frameworks and analysis of existing tokamak databases to produce target plasma scenarios supporting the SPARC mission
- Coordinate with power system, magnet, and fueling teams to determine the operating requirements of these systems during different plasma scenarios
- Contribute to the development of simulation frameworks required for plasma scenario planning and qualification in coordination with the SPARC diagnostics, engineering and physics teams
- Assist in the development of the Plasma Control System and the Machine Protection System, particularly in the testing of these systems and informing the design of the operator interface
- Serve as a Physics Operator in the SPARC Control Room for net fusion energy plasmas
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- A PhD in plasma physics or a closely related field
- Experience developing or applying simulation frameworks
- Demonstrated application of data analysis techniques
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience developing or using tokamak scenario simulation tools
- Familiar with the full arc of planning, executing, and analyzing plasma pulses on a tokamak
- Application of data analysis toward the development or evaluation of tokamak scenarios
- Experience with Python is highly valued
- Experience with MATLAB and Simulink is highly valued
- Strong communication skills with the desire to serve as an operator in a collaborative Control Room environment
- Ability to perform activities such as sitting or typing for extended periods of time
- Willingness to infrequent travel
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.