Designing Climate Solution PlatformsHave you recently started a career in product design and want to do something good with your skills and experience? If yes, then join us in our Earthshot mission to build open source digital systems and solutions for a thriving planet.Open Earth Foundation is a California-based research and deployment non-profit developing open innovative technology to increase planetary resilience and avoid a catastrophic climate crisis. We are building open infrastructure for the Paris Agreement, energy finance, biodiversity tracking, and other critical problems. We are a diverse international team, working remotely with a network of collaborators and partners globally, from the United Nations to startups. We have funding and a team of experts focused on Earth systems and digital innovation.Your mission, should you choose to accept it:As a product designer you will leverage your UX/UI expertise to research and design open digital solutions to fight climate change and prevent biodiversity loss.You'll work with others at OEF and partner organizations to conceptualize and design new software or iterate on existing products. You'll collaborate with a product manager to decide what and how things get done; and you'll work with scientists and other subject matter experts to explore the best way things should be done.The position is remote and international. We're working on the planet's problems and we need the planet's best people to fix them. Salary range: $25,000-$45,000k annually
dependent on location and experience with the opportunity to grow quickly with real hands on experience in what could be the forefront of climate tech for the foreseeable future.
The following requirements describe our ideal candidate. If you don't meet some of the requirements, you're encouraged to apply anyway. Let us know what's missing and how we can work together to make it up.
The ideal candidate: passionate about collaborative digital climate solutions
- Has experience designing intuitive products, with a heavy emphasis on showing complex data in simple but stunning ways.
- Has experience designing digital solutions for mobile and web applications that incorporate elements of blockchain, IoT, AI, and big data
- Committed to open source technology products and platforms, multi-stakeholder innovation and big-picture climate solutions
Responsibilities: understanding users, prototyping, high-fidelity designs
- Dive deep into user feedback and expressed needs to identify pain points to address and essential features to develop
- Prototype, test and design new features, turning low-fidelity sketches and workflows to high-fidelity designs using tools like Figma, Sketch, XD, etc.
- Document product/design decision making through diagrams and conceptual work (sitemaps, user journeys, user strategy templates).
- Support in the production of strategic materials and relevant design assets (reports, decks, papers, website graphics, etc.).
Interpersonal skills: A time-zone management master, clear communicator, creative and curious, attention to detail
- Clear communicator with good verbal and written skills in English (additional languages a plus)
- Creative, flexible and efficient with a focus on details
- Capacity to work with team members and partners at all levels and across time zones in a highly collaborative and often remote environment.
- Embraces new challenges, takes ownership and contributes to the team as a key player
- Formal training or significant real-world experience in graphic design, industrial design, human computer interaction, computer science or related areas.
- A minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience in agile technology development.
- Ideally startup, big tech and/or open source communities experience
OEF is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We support diversity, equity and inclusion in teams, and believe people should align their work with their purpose.
Please send your resume and portfolio with a brief cover letter. The cover letter is an important part of the application, it is your opportunity to highlight why you feel you would be a great addition to the team. We look forward to hearing from you!
Join us if you love Earth.