Position: Senior Thermal Applications Engineer
Description of duties:
Conduct thermal analysis, build electric motor models, validate hydraulic-thermal models. Specifically, the job duties include:
- Build hydraulic models for simulation of coolant flow in existing cooling design of the motor.
- Validate the hydraulic models by prediction of the coolant pressure drop experimental data in the motor cooling loop at different flow rates.
- Build 3D motor thermal models from full 3D CAD / geometry of motor that are discretized for numerical solution.
- Validate the 3D thermal models by prediction of the temperature experimental data in the motor components under different motor speeds and applied torques.
- Integrate simplified hydraulic models with 3D motor thermal models to estimate the outlet coolant temperature at different motor speeds and applied torques.
- Validate the hydraulic-thermal models by predicting the coolant outlet temperature experimental data at different motor speeds, applied torques, and inlet temperatures by assuming uniform heat generation across each of the motor components such as stator, rotor and windings.
- Integrate motor 3D and 1D models to determine the optimized thermal management system to minimize stator winding and rotor temperatures under aggressive operating conditions such as vehicle on ramp acceleration.
- Develop a simplified or reduced-order thermal-hydraulic model for simulation of coolant flow and motor component temperatures.
- Predict stator winding and rotor temperatures during different vehicle driving cycle conditions under different cooling operations (e.g. different coolant flow rate, different chiller heat capacities).
- Optimize cooling system strategy to minimize the stator winding and rotor magnet temperatures under high vehicle torque conditions.
- Author technical presentations and modeling progresses related to ongoing and accomplished modeling activities, report and make recommendations as required.
- Identify novel technologies and approaches, coordinate literature research and where applicable, establish related intellectual property.
Requirements: Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related plus 1 year’s experience as a Thermal Applications Engineer, Mechanical Engineer or related.
Job Site: 1504 McCarthy Boulevard, Milpitas, CA 95035
Please email resume to HR@driveseres.com